New members of the family

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I grabbed the wrong bark and couldn't find the right perlite at the nursery so I found a local orchid grower who sells it. When I ordered I picked out two orchids that were not in bloom but were in blooming size.

So I introduce my "Not-From-A-Garden-Center" orchids.

Oncidium Sharry Baby 'Velvet maroon'
Phalaenopsis Beauty Rin Rin

I have to double check what kind of mix the oncidium will need since this information doesn't stick in my memory lol.

Thumbnail by tikipod
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Congratulations! You are now the mother of "named" orchids. LOL The rule of thumb is Fine roots= fine bark, Thick roots= coarse bark, but I'm not doing very well on either Phals or Oncs, so don't listen to me. Come to think of it though, the only Oncidium I have that's doing well IS in fine mix.

north coast nsw, Australia

Yeah i'd use a pretty coarse bark mix with no fines in it, can mix it with perlite or simila for better drainage. The oncidium could have a smaller bark than the Phal but it wouldn't matter if you just use the same for both.

Perham, MN(Zone 3b)

What's in that very interesting bottle in the right foreground? :-)

north coast nsw, Australia

its a pump bottle isn't it tikipod? whats in it? loooks like sauce.

LOL, I didn't realize that was in the shot. That is hemp moisturizing lotion that I bought at the store the other day.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Oncidiums usually have fine roots and Carol's advice is correct, so a finer bark mix is best. I'm not familiar with your Sharry Baby but you should have fun with the fragrant blooms. They commonly bloom in winter. Are you looking to repot those orchids? I'm asking because they look okay in the photos.

Moisturizing your hemp? No explanation necessary. You west coasters are always so innovative. :>)

Nope, no plans to repot right now. I'd just like to be prepared and make sure my favorite nursery carries the ingredients I'd need.

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
Moisturizing your hemp? No explanation necessary. You west coasters are always so innovative. :>)

LOL! No hemp growing here, I've heard it's too finicky.
I've read Hemp seed oil is really good at moisturizing the skin, which is definitely needed in this house after all those trips to the beach. I'm on the fence with this stuff but it does work better than some of my other lotions.

Perham, MN(Zone 3b)

Ha ha, I thought the bottle might be something like, oh I don't know, kahlua or something....!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.