Small tree suggestions?

Salem, MA

Dear collective wisdom,

I'm contemplating replacing a volunteer Norway maple near our house with something smaller (and prettier). This area is on the north side, about 10'-15' away from our 3-story house. One of the prime requisites is that it be short enough that squirrels aren't provided with easy access to the eaves and roof, as the current tree does. I'm thinking a 15'-20' tree might fit the bill. I've been looking at Halesia (one of the shorter ones), or possibly Acer grisium, but I wonder what other types of trees might fit. Any suggestions? Soil is sandy loam, likely on the acidic side. Prefer deciduous.

Looking forward to your comments.

Marcia
in Salem, Massachusetts

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is that area in sun or shade?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Squirrels can easily climb up the side of your house. They don't need any help from trees!

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I was going to suggest Acer Griseum. I have two and they are among my favorites.

Salem, MA

flowAjen - Because of the proximity of the houses and being on the north side, I would rate it as part shade.

victor gardener - Yeah, I know squirrels can climb anything, I'm just trying to make it slightly less easy for them! We just had our eaves patched and clad in metal flashing, and are hoping that'll slow them down also.

SongsofJoy - I love Acer griseum! I've already managed to kill two of them in my gardening career, but that was in Colorado. Maybe I will have better luck here in New England.

M.

Dogwood.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Flowering cherry

Flowering dogwood! Gives you nice fall color too.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

As per your requirements this would be my choice:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80674/

Salem, MA

Those additional suggestions all sound worthwhile. However, I have charged off in another direction... now I'm giving serious thought to a serviceberry. Edible, possibly tasty fruit (esp if I get one of the named varieties), pretty flowers for a short while in the spring, some color in the fall, wildlife-friendly (even if I have to race the birds to see who gets to the berries first). Seems to have the size and open structure I'm looking for, and it's native.

The only concern one of my housemates expressed was whether or not the branches would be brittle and prone to breaking.

Do any of you have experience with or opinions on serviceberries? They are mentioned in a lot of extension bulletins, but don't seem to be widely available in the trade.

Looking forward to your replies as usual,

Marcia
in Salem, Massachusetts

Yes - I have two. Still young - no fruit. Shrubby, not tree- like. Nice flowers and fall color. Grow wild wherevI hike. Birds will beat you to the fruit!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wonder if berries will attract more squirrels?

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Doesn't seem that way here, the birds beat them to it and defend the tree, especially if it has thin branches that the squirrel can't climb out on easily. It's like the squirrel just says " Awww, forget it.. I can find easier food elsewhere."
(lol!)

The only complaint I hear about crabapples is the mess when they drop.

Thomaston, CT

Small Japanese maple?

Salem, MA

I thought about Japanese maple, but the lure of edible berries is drawing me away. Maybe I should think about this when I've just had something to eat.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Franklinia alatamaha http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/43/
Slow growing, rare, interesting history, nice blooms, with the protection of the house should do well, conversation plant, likes acidic soil, flowers in fall, etc.

If you go with Halesia, I was kinda impressed with Halesia tetraptera var. monticola 'Arnold Pink' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79881/

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I vote Cercis canadensis or Redbud there are lots of new cultivars you could pick from. I just typed a whole explanation and lost it all! But mine is planted in part shade and y soil is slightly acidic and sandy. I added a couple bags of compost into it's planting hole and mixed well. That's pretty much it and it's grown at least 3' in two years. They max at about 20' and about the same width. They have spring flowers on bare branches and heart shaped leavhing on it's trunk. I like mine alot but it does get some twig dieback and weird white moss or something, I think it might be scale.

Sorry for the typos, I'm having issues with my keyboard.. I bet you got the jist. :)

I just realized I didn't mention there is a new cultivar called Forest Pansy that I want to try. It has purplish leaves instead of green. Looks very cool! http://www.google.com/search?q=cercis+canadensis+forest+pansy&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS414US414&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=2FZhTpf8B8TTgQeg3NnHAQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=582

Not very new, Meredith. I have it for years now. Great tree!!

Thomaston, CT

There are quite a few Purple Pansy redbuds planted around our town, courtesy of one of the high school reunion classes.....they are pretty, but do have some dieback.....

Lol, guess just new to me. :)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My Ruby Falls currently reverted to green...it better turn back to purple or I'm not going to be too happy

That's a bummer!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

My way of narrowing things down has been to digest Mike Dirr's hardy Trees and Shrubs and then read specialty books on trees i like. There are some nice smaller variegated dogwoods. I'm partial to all magnolia. You can eat results of nut trees if you decide against a fruit tree. Hazels might not be ornamental enough, but they grow small. Then you might keep the squirreliculas happy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.