Stapled Iris and rot?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I ordered some irises from Cooley's this year, including the very PBF "Equalizer" and they came with the nametags stapled onto the fans, through the whole fan. I wondered about this, but there were no instructions to remove the staples so I planted them. Looking for signs of new growth a couple weeks later, I was dismayed to find signs of rot in several fans. One was totally rotted through, one starting to rot from the staple down, and several showing a little rot and pleating of the central growth under the fan. I removed all the staples and sent a waah note to Cooley's. They were shocked - said that they had been stapling fans for 20 years, but they would replace the 2 rotted fans, which they did.
Now I can see new growth shooting out from the middle of that group of irises.
Have any of you noticed this problem with stapled irises?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Never had any problems with Iris from Cooleys. I have been buying from them for many years.

Philadelphia, PA

I know many growers staple a name tag to their irises. It's never been an issue. I usually remove the staple & tag and use my own tags when they arrive.

I never received rotted irises from any grower. They're very careful to make sure they're dried before shipping them out Caitlin. Do you think your carton got wet enroute to you?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I always remove the staples before planting. I must say I hate them. I'd much rather get an iris that had the name written on like from Snowpeak, because I'm always sticking my fingers with the staples. But I have never had rot where the staples were.

South Hamilton, MA

Never any problems.

Kansas City, MO

I can see where the staples could cause a problem if not removed. It is a hassle to remove them, too. Just a little thing that can make a big difference.

K

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

I've always had excellent luck with Cooley's rhizomes and have not had any rot associated with the staples.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Then I can understand why Cooley's was so adamant that they had done it that way for 20 years without problems. No, they didn't come that way, it was only after I had planted and watered them a few times and was looking for signs of new growth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.