Is my Psoralea Pinnata dying?

Burlingame, CA

I bought this plant in a 3 gallon container a month ago. Planted it 15 days ago. When it was in the container I watered it daily, and about 1 /2 liter of water each day. Since I planted on the ground, I watered it twice, about 5 gallons of water each time.

When I bought the plant, it was a lot greener and more beautiful.

Please help and let me know what I can do to save it.

Thumbnail by lamlam
Burlingame, CA

More views.

Thumbnail by lamlam
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Wow, that's a lot of plant to come out of a 3 gallon container. Was it root bound when you transplanted it? I would guess it's in transplant shock.
A liquid rooting hormone and some vitamins might help you get it through shock.
Not sure if I would start pruning off the dead parts just yet because that will stimulate new green growth when the plant needs to focus on root growth right now.
I would also keep a closer eye on the soil/water. Only 2 times in 15 days for a newly planted specimen is not much water. Even though it's in the earth now, the root structure is still the same 3 gallon size and hasn't had time to stretch its roots out and look for water yet. It's still confined to that small root ball.

Burlingame, CA

Quote from HydroPinke :
Wow, that's a lot of plant to come...

Thanks for the reply.

I remember there was no root bound. And I cut the sides and bottom to loosen up the dirt. When I planted it, I used some "Scotts Evergreen, Flowering Tree & Shrub" slow release plant food. I have not prune off any part since I got it.

I just check the soil, it's still moist.

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

I bet the plant is just reacting to the roots being cut. Since some of them were severed, it can no longer support the same amount of green foliage above the ground on a smaller root system. If it was my plant I would definitely get some liquid rooting hormone, I use lily millers vita start transplant mix. I would back off the Scotts fertilizer for now, I don't give normal fertilizer for at least 3 months because I want the plants to establish big healthy root systems first before getting super lush.

Just keep an eye on the moisture level, beyond the top 3-6" of soil. Those first few inches can always lie to you about what's going on deeper, where the roots are or where you want them to be.

Burlingame, CA

Quote from HydroPinke :
I bet the plant is just reacting to the roots...

Thanks again. I will certainly try the liquid rooting hormone out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.