inherited quilts

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

After Quilter_Gal visiting a few days ago, I have laid out the quilts I inherited from my mother and realize what a treasure I have. She made many of them but there also several that have come down to me through the ancestors. Some are very worn and fragile. Others have broken threads and are pulling apart here and there. Would it be "sin" to repair these places? Of necessity it would be whip-stitch by hand.

Having been a collector of various genre for almost all my life, I know there are many things that you don't want to repair. Changes the value for future generations. Another of those many questions I think.....I'll ask momma, she'll know.

Going to leave them on the guest bed for a few days to relax the folds. I hate putting them away but there are just so many ways to display and keep them safe.

My sister received a quilt made before the Civil War. She wants to display it as well but we don't know how to keep it from disintegrating. Any suggestions?

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!