When can I plant my cuttings?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

So I have 3 cuttings that rooted nicely. They were stuck about 2 months ago. They have been growing on my deck in tiny pots throughout the entire summer. Full sun/ afternoon shade. The nights are getting cool already, its only August!! I know that I cant take them inside over the winter, that they need to get that frost.... or something like that. But my question is, when are they big enough to go into the ground for good? Here is a photo of them. Any help with what I need to do with them would be great. I don't want to do it too soon.
Thanks,
Kristen

Thumbnail by blupit007
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Go ahead and plant them now, Kristen. Hopefully they have a good root system and will adapt easily. Be sure they have some protection from wind (if possible) and amended soil, if needed. Use mulch to keep the soil temperatures more constant and to conserve moisture the roots want.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you Pirl. I will plant them asap. They are growing so nicely. Im used to exotic hibiscus.... they are much harder and slower!

After you plant them and water them (please) mulch them. Have fun, Kristen.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Apply about 3-4 inches of mulch up to the drip line or slightly beyond. Good luck with the new shrubs!

Mulch is the one thing most people don't do, Luis, and it makes a huge difference in the ability of the plant to survive. I know you agree.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

What's the drip line? :)

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The drip line is the tips of the outermost branches. Supposedly if you water the leaves and as they drip down, this should get most of the roots, hence you don't need to water any further than the outermost branches.

http://en.mimi.hu/gardening/drip_line.html

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The circumference of a shrub or tree banches/leaves where they extend the farthest from the main trunk. Generally speaking (not always of course), roots tend to grow as far from the main trunk as the leaves extend outwards. When mulching, you sometimes want to add mulch up to where the leaves and stems extend. Same for watering. You want to water near or further away from the drip line to encourage roots to grow away from the main trunk in search for moisture.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Ah!!!! Thanks, this is the first I've heard of it. Good to know. I also have cuttings to plant. :)

So how did all the cuttings do this winter for Kristen and Kelly? Mine did exceptionally well. I didn't lose any of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.