When To Begin Pinching On Seeded Coleus Plants

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

My first attempt at growing Coleus from seed.

Yes, I now understand they are sloooow!

Originally seeded May 4. It's been 14 weeks. I was hoping they may be of decent size by September 1. Now I probably won't see that before the first frost. No harm as they'll be going to Florida this winter then return in the spring.

Any tips on pinching these guys? Too early? Perfect? Better hurry?

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

If I were pinching, I'd give them at least another set of leaves and make sure the stem is sturdy. Their delicate, little root systems could probably get some strength, but you won't know till you take it out. I'd depot and repot a size larger for one to see how it's doing before going too far.

My guess is that the seed is almost dust, and your patience has paid off. I would call it a success!

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Cathy:

Root system? It's almost non existent. I did move some to larger pots a few weeks ago and the roots could not be any longer than one inch. Extremely fragile plants at this stage. I tried on test on ten of them to see what may happen. So far so good after two days..no croakers. I have plenty to experiment on after seeding about 200 with about half making it to this point.

I'll keep a progress report with pics.

Varieties growing:

FAIRWAY ORANGE
KONG GREEN
WIZARD JADE
WIZARD SCARLET
GIANT EXHIBITION PALISANDRA
SUPERFINE RAINBOW FESTIVE DANCE
SONATINA SCARLET YELLOW
FAIRWAY RUBY
WIZARD PINEAPPLE

Test dummies...

I didn't cut the one in back left.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2011 5:05 PM

Thumbnail by kdfisher
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

They pretty fragile without a greater root system. I'd wait till till the stems thicken up. Kd, are thes plants inside or outside? For some tender plants, I put a plastic bag (clear over the top to give it a bid of greenhouse effect. Sometimes the extra humidity (not in full sun) is helpful. Don't let the leaves touch the plastic. You could also use a clear plastic or glass bowl. Also the extra humidity helps keep the soil moist and warmer.

Even the cheapie starter kits come with a clear lid till the plants take off, and it might have helped your germination time (just a guess, don't kill me). GRIN

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.