Arisaema triphyllum propogation

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Does anyone have experience propagating Jack in the pulpit?

I was lucky enough to receive a plant in trade this summer that was pollinated. The berries have turned from green to nearly all red, so I will be cleaning the seeds soon. I found some info (http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ARTR) that specifies 60 days cold stratification in the fridge before sowing outside.

I was just wondering if anyone here had grown these from seed before and had any tips =)
Here's a pic the green berries from late July:

Thumbnail by Eleven
Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

It's supposed to be easy to propogate, but since mine does a pretty good job of propogating itself, I've never bothered. If you like it where it's situated and just want more of them, you'll do fine just letting nature take its course. It can irritate the skin, so wear gloves when handling the plant and seeds. Here are some instructions I found online.
Propagation
Description: Propagate by root division or seed. Seeds may be sown outside in late fall, 3/4 deep, or the following spring with or without cold treatment. Seeds should not be allowed to dry out. The seeds may not germinate for up to two years. Cormlets can be separated from the parent corm in fall.
Seed Collection: Collect fruits in fall when the berries are red. Approximate collection date for northern U.S.: Late Aug. & Sep.
Seed Treatment: Remove the small brown seed from the pulp. Stratify stored seeds by placing them in moist sphagmun moss and refrigerating 60 days before planting.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Yeah, that info came from the link I provided =) It seems pretty simple, so we'll see if I can nurture a few babies from this experiment. I have some Jack in the Pulpit in a different part of my yard, but they seem to be pretty slow in spreading. Maybe this way a new clump can develop faster.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I just found some in my yard! It's still green and i only found one. Any chance that i'll be getting red seeds? I know i can probably get some from a friend who is moving. But I'm not sure how they'll survive a transplant so i may just get seeds.

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

When the seeds turn red, I gather them and with my walking stick, poke a hole in the ground where I want a Jack, drop in a seed and smush the hole closed with my foot. They come up! I don't know why you have to take off the pulp. Who does that in the wild?

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I assume that just like volunteer tomatoes, these will take care of themselves if left on their own. I'm curious if I'll get any viable seed though. All my flowers bloom, and trees bud a little later up here. So I'll keep watching. Either way I'll plant them at the end of the season and see what happens. I figure it can't hurt to hope!

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

They WILL turn red and when they come off with a flick of your finger, they will be ready to plant.

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

You don't have to remove the red flesh if you sow the seeds directly after they ripen in the fall. It's only if you cold stratify the seeds to plant in the spring that you have to remove the red portion.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

they WILL? lol i sure hope you're right. If so I'll be happy to share once I'm sure I've got a few established.

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Just keep your eye on them. I've got about 30 plants. I working on getting them to spread down here too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.