Planting clematis

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I read some where to plant deep. I purchased a clematis in a one gal pot. How deep should I dig the hole?

Thanks

Gary

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

About a foot deep and a foot wide - more if you can. Mix in compost, bone meal and manure and use that to refill the hole but be sure the clematis is planted two to three inches deep. Remove any leaves that would be under the soil line. Please mulch it well with three inches of your favorite mulch.

Edited to add: water it very well but don't keep it drenching wet. It wants moist, cool roots.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 9:05 PM

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pirl. I always enjoy your posts

Gary

You just made my day! Thanks.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Oooohh...a new clematis thread!! I have 3 now, that I need to get planted. They survived the heat of summer....now, time to dig some holes. I need all the clematis help I can get. :D

You can plant them as described above but if you have a specific problem we'd all like to help you with it.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Everyone, It is important that that clematis that have been held in their cans most of the summer be soaked in a bucket till the bubbles stop. I see 20 minutes often recommended but, see you don't over do and spoil the root ball. A few years ago an autopsy revealed that deep root-ball dryness was the reason I lost a 'Niobe' Lee Sherwood McDonald

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.