Climbing Hydrangeas

Bayfield, ON(Zone 6a)

A few years ago (about 8) I planted a climbing hydrangea against an old Pine tree. It has grown to about 20 feet in height and is a very nice vine BUT I have never seen a flower on it. I bought the vine as I understood it would take shade. The vine is in dappled sunlight . My yard is within a wooded area and I love the coolness of the yard in the summer months here. I have never cut this vine back as I am not aware if I should do so. I live in Zone 6A in Ontario and right on the shores of Lake Huron. We have prevailing North West winds in the winter but I am not concerned with regards to that as it is sheltered within the wooded area. Do you do anything special with this plant in the winter months and why haven't I seen any blossums. Thanks everyone in advance!
Regards Bayfield.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello, Bayfield. CH is notorious for this behaviour. It may bloom sparingly now and then but generally speaking, it spends most resources growing on the tree or surface that it is attached to. Once it reaches the top, theeeeeeen it blooms heavily. So the suggestion is basically to wait until it gets to the top of the tree. It seems to be doing just fine so far. But I hear you, it can be frustrating.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Just so Bayfield can see this beautiful one on Cape Cod...

Thumbnail by pirl

Here's a close up of the flowers.

Thumbnail by pirl

Last one:

Thumbnail by pirl
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Very nice, pirl. Where and when was the picture taken? The blooms look so pristine that I would have to guess June or so. Looks like a commercial or govmt building. I may be in the area in the Fall looking for CHs to photograph as well.

June 14, 2010, Cape Cod, Van Renselaer's Restaurant and Raw Bar in Wellfleet, west side of Route 6.

Bayfield, ON(Zone 6a)

Thanks all of you who responded. I will be more patient. The photos are great and if I took a photo you could see what a wonderful vine I have ...... :) I am still wondering if you do anything special when the fall and winter starts to peek it's head. Any thoughts? Mulch, or just leave it alone?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

It probably does best if you maintain it mulched with 3-4" of mulch. But it is hardy to your zone so you could leave it alone too.

Ladysmith, BC

Mine is planted beside/under a large Rhodo, and it grows up a fence, facing North with good water. it does get morning sun too. It blooms very well. You need to do careful pruning to keep the growth where you want it. But do a very heavy prune and you won't get the great blooming next Spring. But it might catch up later on.

Again on Cape Cod last week, I took more photos of the fabulous climbing hydrangeas at Van Rensselear's Restaurant and got to speak to the owners, Peter and Diane. Peter said they were planted in 1988.

The Eggs Benedict with Lobster Cakes was yummy!

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I ate very late this evening so I cannot believe I am about to say that your breakfast does look good from over here!

It was!

I told Peter about your expertise with hydrangeas of all kinds and he was very pleased that you admired those on the huge trellis at his restaurant.

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Here is a climbing Hydrangea that grew on and arbor in my yard.It took about 6 years to bloom and was a pleasure until I lost it in an usually mild winter.Since then I have planted another in a more protected location and it is doing well..but no blooms yet.This is Fredericton NB Canada. Zone 4b .

Thumbnail by agedgardener
Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Wrong picture Here is the one I wanted.

Thumbnail by agedgardener

It's always a shame to lose such a lovely plant, Joy, so let's hope your new replacement grows quickly and flowers for you. Mine is six years old and still not flowering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.