where to purchase brussels sprouts plants for fall garden?

Alexander City, AL

I live near Birmingham, AL, and want to purchase Brussels sprouts transplants for my fall garden. I'd like to plant them by Labor Day. Of course I want varieties that are heat-tolerant for zone 7b. The nurseries I've called in Birmingham think their Bonnie's plants will arrive in late September - but I understand the Brussels sprouts should be planted by Labor Day. Does anyone know a source for plants?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

All the Lowes and HD stores as well as feed and seeds in N. GA have cabbages, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc. now. Brussels sprouts take a long time to mature but they are very cold tolerant. I would not think another few weeks will make a difference. What you don't want is to have these plants sitting around and getting root bound in those grow packs.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I planted seeds 2 weeks ago,, they are about 2 inches now... maybe we will have the "perfect" winter this year.. with RAIN!!!

From your lips to Mother Nature's ears, Elaine. My seedlings went in the past few days. Let it rain.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

here is a pix of what I planted way back last April (?) and knew it would take a while!!

edited to add: I planted broccoli in the late fall and it did wonderfully over the winter, which included some good freezes and a couple of ice/snow days. I never covered them and in the spring I had nice fresh broccoli. The ones I planted in the early spring looked good but then heat waves hit and it all bolted. My fall planted crop definitely did better.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 8:08 AM

Thumbnail by sterhill

Those look great, Sterling! Looks like they'll mature at a perfect time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.