New hosta projects

Ottawa, Canada

The drip line from overhead my garden was beginning to destroy some of my plants. My husband had the eaves throughs cleaned but that didn't correct the broblem, so I installed rocks and stones on ground to diflect the soil errosion. I ended up with something that I thought looked like a japenese garden. However the remaining bed didn't. I've decided to remove some hostas in the remaining bed, that are pretty damaged by earwigs and to upright ones in their stead.Does anyone have any suggestions?

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I love Uprights and I have bought quite a few and the list goes on! :)

Alex Summers
Queen of the Sea's
Liberty
Regal Splendor
Blue Umbrellas
Elegans
Victory
Blue Dolphin
Tom Schmid
Paradise Power
Komodo Dragon
Montana
Olive Bailey Langdon
Sagae
Grand Canyon
Abiqua Moonbeam
Climax
Jewel of the Nile
Nigrescens
Praying Hands
Gentle Giant
Sun and Substance
Krossa Regal
Glory Hallelujah

Most of these are large and sun-tolerant because that is what I was looking for but you can do your own research, just giving you something to start with. Good luck with your project and keep me informed! :)

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a link to Don Rawson's lists.

http://www.pwk.resteddoginn.ca/lists/hosta_list.php

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Yeah that is really cool, I printed three list and now I have all the uprights and all the sun-tolerant Hostas. I wish I knew about that three months ago because I have looked up each Hosta separately to see if it was sun tolerant and to see if it was upright or mound.
I had actually made my own list. :(

I also have a drip line and I planted monkey grass and lilies etc. and I have a few small river rocks. The other stuff is about two or three feet from foundation. Hope this helps and thanks a lot for the link!

Ottawa, Canada

Thanks everyone for the help. I was prepared to spend the day in the garden removing the old hostas but it rained all day. The lists helped with my research.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.