Leaf spots?

Montgomery, AL

These leaves of Pink Duchess came today from Lyndon Lyons. They both have these sunken, brown spots visible on both sides of the leaves. 1 leaf of Irish Glen does as well. What do you think this may be?

Thumbnail by jamiew
Montgomery, AL

Here's the underside.

Thumbnail by jamiew
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

It doesn't look good, whatever it is. I would notify them and send picture. Maybe they would replace them. I would also isolate them from all your other plants.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Jamie,
Those look very bad! Take a picture for Lyons and TOSS them.That looks like a leaf spot virus.

I don't see that exact problem here,but Steve has a great page.
http://www.reedsgreenhouse.com/leaves/leaf-id.htm

Also,go to Dr. Optimara and check.

http://www.optimara.com/doctoroptimara.html

Montgomery, AL

I sent Lyndon Lyon a message asking for replacements. I'm thinking the entire leaf is affected and cutting out the 'bad' spots won't be a cure (viral is systemic). Is this correct? I've propagated and grown hundreds of leaves and plants and never seen any looking this way. Thanks all! I'll let everyone know what they tell me.

I am not positive whether it is viral or bacterial,but I wouldn't take a chance with them.

Montgomery, AL

You are right. I've heard too many horror stories to take any chances! I don't want to lose my entire collection.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I saw where you just posted this on another forum. Have you heard back from Lyndon Lyon yet? I really would ditch those if L.L. will allow it.

Connie

Montgomery, AL

L.L. left a phone message saying he doesn't like to do email, but wants me to call him back. I did, but line was busy. So, I another email and will call again in awhile. I've already ditched the leaves. I hope he didn't want me to send them back as proof (It's only a few dollars anyway).

Montgomery, AL

L.L. just called and he thinks they are fungal spots. He said some of his plants are affected in certain areas of his greenhouse and is having them tested. He said he's seen viral before and doesn't believe that's what's going on here. Yeah! Fungus can be treated. He's going to send me replacements after the testing is completed.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

YAY!!!! At least he is acknowledging it and says he will take care of it. I just thought if you paid a vendor for them and you reported it immediately, the right thing to do is take care of the customer. Sure beats the other alternative lol!!!

Connie

Montgomery, AL

He was very nice.

That's wonderful Jamie! Lyon's has been around so many years for good reason.

Lynn

Montgomery, AL

Good new everyone! I'm pasting the results for the leaf spots in the note below. I told the vendor to send the replacement leaves with my next order so that he won't be out shipping. It appears to me, as a former human Pathologist, that the viral and fungal signs for AV disease are too nonspecific for diagnosis and the test costs too high for the home grower. This leaves us all in a quandary.

Hi Jamie,

How are the leaves looking?

We had our plants tested by Cornell Univ. Research center in Long Island, and no problems were found. They were tested for fungus infections and virus (INSV & TSWV) All were Negative!

But, we discovered that our fertilizer pump had malfunctioned, and we may have been OVER fertilizing, and burning, or spotting our leaves. The research technician at LI research center also thinks this is what happened to our leaves.

We can send those replacement leaves anytime now if you are ready.

Sincerely,
Paul Sorano
Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses, Inc.

That's great news Jamie! You are right....it is extremely difficult to self diagnose plants.Not just AVS....all plants.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I agree. It's extremely difficult to specifically diagnose "leaf spots" without having a lab at your disposal.

Be that as it may, Lyndon Lyon's has done their duty and it just speaks to their quality as a business that they let you know that there's nothing to worry about and that they'll send you replacements.

That's the very reason that they have been around for so long!

Thanks, Jamie, for sharing this story!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.