Hazelnut Help

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

Good morning fellow gardeners,
Back in spring I ordered 3 hazelnuts from Arbor Day Foundation that are proported to grow in zone 9.
I have always wanted to grow them here, but could not until recently find any that said they'd manage
this climate. They were small, (perhaps a foot tall) and I put them in 3 gallon pots, planning for ground in fall.

Well, 2 of the 3 promptly died on me (sent bare root) The survivor is doing well, but growing very slowly.
Should I fertilize it? Does it prefer a particular soil? I can amend that come fall. Are there any special
things I can do to get this bush to thrive?
Please help me if you can, I'd really love some hazelnuts in a few years. :)

rhinelander, WI(Zone 4a)

i have a few hazelnut growing in partial shade , doing well , maybe they would thrive in part
shade ? do they need a longer dormant period that zone 9 would not provide ?

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I was sort of thinking the same thing - corylus americana is native to the upper midwest, but not sure about zone 9. Honestly, I think they need a much cooler climate and longer dormancy. Passionflowerz, there are SOOO many things you can grow in your subtropical region that would love your warm winter. We in the cold north would give our right arm for some of these!! Perhaps a re-thought of genera and species?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.