Can anyone ID this snake for me?

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 6b)

This is what happens when you hide your gate key under a rock! I realize that ID'ing this snake would be easier if you could see its head. Anyway, yesterday this guy parked himself next to my gate key under a rock, and I have not seen a snake colored like this before. Does anyone have any ideas about what kind of snake this is? Good thing I have another gate key!

Thumbnail by chicochi3
Fort Wayne, IN

My husband said it looked like a blue racer. ??

That crossed my mind, but I don't think they have red on their sides.

Fort Wayne, IN

We found a picture of a northern red bellied snake and it looked pretty similar. www.nature north.com

That Northern Red-Bellied snake looks close, but mine didn't have stripes on its back. I came up with the Eastern Worm snake . http://peabody.yale.edu/collections/vertebrate-zoology/herpetology/eastern-worm-snake At least all of the snakes we're coming up with are harmless!

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 8:28 AM

It was a very small snake. At first I thought it was one of those really big earthworms, the nightcrawlers. We have lots of them in that part of the yard. Then it dawned on me that earthworms, big or small, do not have scales. That link definitely does look like the right snake. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.