Wildlife: Squirrel Pics Vol. 17

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140510/#new

"Where did everybody go?"

This message was edited Aug 17, 2011 11:27 AM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oops...I posted the wrong pic. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time.

Here are a couple of pics I thought would be fun. Along with all the other food we put out, we also toss out whole corn for the squirrels, birds & other critters that like it.

Our Squirrels tend to eat some & "plant" some...all over the yard. I'm constantly pulling out little corn stalks...but there was one that both my husband & I thought would be fun to let grow for a bit to see how big it would get.

One of the Squirrels planted a kernel of corn in an unused nursery pot that had soil in it. It is now just under 5 ft. tall!! Next year we're going to try to teach them to plant in rows so they can cross-pollinate and actually grow some ears of corn.

How cool would that be if we could get them to grow their own food!!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

This one shows a "would-be" ear of corn, but it's probably empty inside.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread!!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

This guy loves to tease the cats

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Same squirrel...different cat

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

That's hysterical, sunkissed! They're so incredibly smart.

that's just being mean! lol

Chipmunk in a shrub....

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Nanny, I bet if you were holding food instead of your camera it would've been right at your feet!

Just might have!! We see this little guy cross the road every morning on our walk and head into this area to gather food!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday gardenpom!!!!

I Didn't have any good pics to upload so I found this cute "Birthday" Squirrrel on Flicker for you.

Here's the link: Enjoy!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41995153@N08/5810219869/

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Big Mama eating a snack...

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Melbourne, FL

Sweet picture. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes, nutsaboutnature.

http://community.rv.net/_Mission-Impossibale/video/1185132/43507.html

This is a great squirrel video...they'll do anything for food.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for posting the video, sunkissed. . .I laughed all the way through. . .Love it!!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

They are so funny. Love the pics.

I sent that email to my DH and he said, "You know I could build something like that for our squirrels, it would be a hoot". I gave him the LOOK, he dropped that thought right away. :-)

Squirrel and bunny together while I was out for my morning bike ride..

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Melbourne, FL

We need some squirrel pics. Here's one from yesterday.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Yes we do!! Nice one GP! Mine here just aren't really hanging out much....Gus (dog) keeps them on the move!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

It's fun to see the squirrel and Bunny together, Sunkissed. They seem to get along well together.

GP it's great to see your squirrel pic, very nice. Is he still chewing on bones?

None here either Nanny. Sound like Gus is having a great deal of fun with yours. Has he had encounters with skunks and raccoons?

LOL!! He has seen raccoons a few times.....they tend to come after we are in for the night. Thankfully no skunk sightings as of yet. That is always my worst fear when he goes poking along when we walk!

From Today......

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Funny guy there, Nanny. He doesn't seem to be suffering much, from all the chasing he's had, lol. You don't have any snow covering on the ground!!! Is the snow falling now, suppose to amount to very much?
We have about a foot of snow cover here. And a bit coming tomorrow.

hey all and happy new year...got a squirrel drinking out of my bird bath...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Not much snow here at all so far this winter. We only ended up with a dusting at my house. About 50 miles north they got around 3-4 inches. Very glad we do not have a foot!! lol

Nice one Sunkissed! Mine keep looking at the feeder which is frozen solid!

Same squirrel...turned around. Is she flipping me off????? lol

This message was edited Jan 20, 2012 11:22 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Too funny nanny...love the color of your squirrel...I see some further north in FL with that same coloring...the are all gray down here.

Squirrel silhouette...took this a few winters ago in my back yard

Thumbnail by sunkissed

I love silhouette shots...I do that with birds sometimes. makes some interesting photos and sometimes you can "save" a bad one that way!

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

My goodness Nanny, that is a pudgy squirrel.

I have not had a squirrel in my backyard since last August. They are all around me, but do not come into the feeding area. I miss them and would love to know why they stopped visiting me. I really enjoyed taking some fun photos of their antics.

I think because of the mild weather they are eating very well and not having trouble finding enough to eat. They are all looking quite pudgy here..... OR she was pregnant!

I would love to send you some of my squirrels, just planted some seeds and they dug them up already...ugh!

This was taken last Sept...think it is laughing at me.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

There were two chasing each other in the oak tree...this was obviously the boy...ha ha

Thumbnail by sunkissed

boy what a look he is giving you!! lol

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A thirsty, and exploring, Squirrel.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Super cute pics, everyone!

Here's a couple from when we still had snow (haven't had a whole lot of it this year, though).

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Cute!

No snow was very scarce this year here. I used my new snow shovel once and never even started the snow blower this year!

I'll be happy to send anyone who wants my squirrels to them. This past week I had my new Gerber daisies eaten, my orchid flower eaten...I'm so mad at them...they've never eaten my flowers before.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sunkissed - So sorry to hear about your flowers. I know it's depressing when you put so much work in to have a beautiful yard.

Squirrels don't tend to eat flowers, but rabbits do so It's most likely hungry bunnies. Deer will also eat many types of flowers.

I spray my plants regularly with Liquid Fence. I've used it for years & It works wonders. My flowers wouldn't survive without it. We have deer, rabbits, squirrels and every other kind of critter.

Liquid fence comes in several ready-to-use sizes, plus a concentrated form. Last Summer I decided to try the concentrated bottle that you mix with water - a quart concentrate makes four gallons. It's been great. I'm less than halfway through it and it will probably last me till next year.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a link to the Liquid Fence website.

Apparently, they now have a new granular form, but the one I use is the Spray. I don't buy it from the website since it's readily available where I live. You'll usually find it in Nurseries, Home Centers, etc.. If you decide to try it, try the small spray bottle first to make sure it works for you. It's stinky when you first spray it on, but does go away after about a day.

http://www.liquidfence.com/deer-repellent.html

Melbourne, FL

A few recent squirrel shots.

Thumbnail by gardenpom Thumbnail by gardenpom Thumbnail by gardenpom Thumbnail by gardenpom Thumbnail by gardenpom
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh my gosh, gardenpom. . . Those pics are soooooo ADORABLE!!!

I love this new format that allows you to post multiple pics in one post.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Wonderful, GP

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.