Blue River is superb

(Zone 4b)

I planted a "Blue River" clem in late May of this year. In early July it got its first flowers and since that time i.e. about 6 weeks and counting it has never stopped blooming!

It isn't that the flowers last very long (in fact they don't) but rather the new bloom buds just keep coming and coming and coming.

It has stopped at around 4 feet tall as of a month ago so it does appear to be a small clematis and so it should be easy to find space in your garden.

Put this variety on your "to buy" list for next spring.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks. It's always good to know of a good grower, rouge21.

I'd love to see a photo.

Athens, PA

I would like to see a photo as well. Roue - where did you purchase this plant? Sounds like it was a decent size when you put it in.

(Zone 4b)

I purchased it from the on-line 'store' gardenimport.com. It was around 6" tall when I planted it. It grew quickly but has stopped at around 4' tall. This being its first year it isnt wide but it is healthy.

I am new to davesgarden.com...is it possible to use a photo hosting service to display a picture in a forum post ie [IMG]....[/IMG]?

(Zone 7a)

You can post pictures directly from your computer using the BROWSE button just under where your new post will go.

(Zone 4b)

But none from 'outside' link eg. photobucket? :(

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Try asking here on the Photos Forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/photos/all/

(Zone 7a)

You can do that. Just post the link to it and folks can click on it.

(Zone 4b)

Last year was the first year for this clematis in the ground and it flowered for so long. I am hopeful this will continue in year 2. As of today it is starting to show its 'stuff':

(There is no doubt that from first year to second year the flowers are noticeably larger.)

Thumbnail by rouge21
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, that is a pretty flower. Nice shape and color and size. I will keep my eye out for that one.

(Zone 4b)

And here is this same plant 4 months later. It has always been in bloom during this time period and even with the cold temps and a fall frost it is still showing nice flowers (picture taken this evening).

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 7:08 PM

This message was edited Oct 9, 2012 6:46 AM

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 7:08 AM

Thumbnail by rouge21
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

That is a pretty one! Congrats on a good find.

(Zone 4b)

Thanks 'bananna'.

Its continued floriferousness all season, coupled with its very compact size (I have it on a five foot obelisk and it does just fine in that space) make it a great clematis for a residential (ie smaller) garden.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Wow, is that ever pretty! And that it flowers for so long makes it even better! I'm going to try one of those if I can find one. Thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.