My S. purpurea

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

I picked this one up just a few weeks ago and have since repotted it. It is growing and coloring up nicely and maintained at a constant 78F with 5-6 hours of Sun from the West. I will post another pic. right at the end of it's growing season before the start of hibernation.

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm
Arlington, TX

They don't hibernate much here only when its at its coldest. Mine retain their leaves and often look good all year.

north coast nsw, Australia

i think my purp x all die down in winter and its not even cold here. Alot of my sarracenias dont die down at all, some the pitchers stay and some sarras just have them weird looking winter leaves but my purp x have nothing but the rhiazome under the peat. Weird!

Arlington, TX

I have the southern version (better in the heat) and they don't loose leaves in the worst winters.
C

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

To my surprise I found out that a small rhizome I picked up from Lowe's labeled as a Sarracenia purpurea is in fact a S. alta! May not seem like much but I like the S alata pitchers and they are great fly catchers or so I've been told.

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice score! Congrats!

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is one of my no name rhizomes I got some months back. Looks to me like an S. alata or a cross with alata cause it has features that are similar to my other alata but also has some that are not the same.

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm
Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

My little S. alata getting some action. In the first pic you see the fly checking out the pitcher on the right but since it was too small for it to really get a taste it flew over to the pitcher on the left of the first pic. As soon as it landed it dove right in and this was the last time it's buddies ever heard from it! Enjoy!

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.