Streptocarpus id.

Montgomery, AL

I was gifted a small division of this variegated Strep. last year. It's making it through the summer o.k. This is the first bloom. Does anyone know what it might be called?

Thumbnail by jamiew
Montgomery, AL

Here's a close up of the flower.

Thumbnail by jamiew
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Iced Pink Flamingo????

Connie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Since there aren't THAT many variegated Streps and 'Iced Pink Flamingo' is one of the "classic" ones that's more widely grown and propagated, I'd say that's a pretty good bet. :)

BTW: Beautiful plant, Jamie!

Montgomery, AL

Thanks!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Here's the deal, though: There's little chance to positively ID pretty much any plant by pic alone and Gesneriads are among the more difficult cultivars/hybrids to ID to begin with.

Let me quote what Dee Stewart wrote on Gesneriphiles:

"Forgive my late reply on this and forgive me for getting on a soap box. I'm
always opposed to putting a name on a plant received without a label. In
this case, everyone guessed 'Purple King', but 'Paul Arnold' looks very
similar and has also been around forever. Once we've put the wrong name on a
plant and it gets distributed with that name, we can never be sure whether
the original plant is still in cultivation or what exactly it is that we are
growing. Even if we put "possibly 'Purple King'" on the label, I'll
guarantee that someone down the road will drop the "possibly" and the mix up
will occur. Just my personal pet peeve.....
Dee Stewart"

Olaf

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Quote from bsimpson1972 :
Here's the deal, though: There's little chance to positively ID pretty much any plant by pic alone and Gesneriads are among the more difficult cultivars/hybrids to ID to begin with.

Let me quote what Dee Stewart wrote on Gesneriphiles:

"Forgive my late reply on this and forgive me for getting on a soap box. I'm
always opposed to putting a name on a plant received without a label. In
this case, everyone guessed 'Purple King', but 'Paul Arnold' looks very
similar and has also been around forever. Once we've put the wrong name on a
plant and it gets distributed with that name, we can never be sure whether
the original plant is still in cultivation or what exactly it is that we are
growing. Even if we put "possibly 'Purple King'" on the label, I'll
guarantee that someone down the road will drop the "possibly" and the mix up
will occur. Just my personal pet peeve.....
Dee Stewart"

Olaf

Amen!

Noids should remane noids.I wish everyone would label there plants as such.Theres too many look alikes these days.Besides that plant is so pretty,who needs a name.Just my 2 cents worth.

Jan

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

That is sooo true!!! There is another site that will scold you senseless for trying to ID an A.V. or anything else because there are thousands out there and several look like twins. I wouldn't even think of doing that unless I had one that I got from a friend and asked them to help ID it. However, I took a stab at because (like Olaf said) there aren't that many variegated ones out there.

You have done a great job growing it, Jamie :)

Connie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

...and I have seen all kinds of "NOIDS" that looked much better and more vigorous than anything "named"...

Take those amazingly tasty "heirloom"-tomatos these days as an example. Probably no one knows about their exact ancestry - yet they're still around and kicking the behinds of our regular "fat, red, mostly water"-kind-of-tomatos...

I think that in a lot of instances "Grandma's Plant" should be known as "Heirloom XXX" vs. just "NOID" because it simply stood the test of time for one reason or the other!

Take for instance Achimenes 'Purple King' or Kohleria "Longwood" - they've been around forever for a reason...

It's just the very fact that it is the responsibility of all of us to record all necessary data on plant and, even more importantly, on a cross!

Orchid growers/hybridizers are about a bazillion years ahead of us when it comes to documentation...

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Theres a plant flying around this form right now that is not a registered named plant,I've asked for it to be explained to others but it's still being shared as a named plant.What going to happen when it hits ebay or if it's used for hybridizing?

Williston, ND

Its one of the iced series could be pink flamgio or wine or atristy. Looks like flamigo to me

Montgomery, AL

With all the hybrids available, the way so many look alike, and trade being so easy nowadays (people labeling plants on guesses, then trading or selling), I'm suspicious that judges at the shows can't possibly positively i.d. some plants that are entered. I bet they are good at the ones that they've grown, but not as great with others. It would seem quite difficult to me, anyway. I wonder how often plants get thrown out for mislabeling.

Ma's Winter Moon

Thumbnail by jamiew
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Case in point: I've seen a Kohleria in a show that was labeled K. 'Ruby' but most definitely was K. 'Mother's Lipstick' or something similar DEFINITELY NOT 'Ruby'!

The judges ALL were not only senior judges but also among the cream of the crop of Gesneriad growers/hybridizers. To name two: Dale Martens and Tim Tuttle...

The Kohleria at the show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerfreak/5542784793/in/set-72157626310171748

Kohleria 'Ruby':

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68587888@N00/2590336253/

And those two are EASILY distinguishable yet mis-ID'd...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.