softened water bad for streps?

Brookfield, CT

I have had no luck growing streptocarpus. Inside, outside, high humidity, low humidity, cooler temps, higher temps, I always end up with a plant whose leaves brown at the edge, especially when they touch the soil, and then die. I was wondering if our water is the problem. We have well water that is naturally hard (high in calcium, magnesium, manganese and iron). Just installed a water softener that uses potassium chloride. Am I just not watering enough? I tend to underwater everything.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

It usually isn't a good idea to mess too much with the chemistry of the water.

I live in Chicago with city water straight from Lake Michigan at a pH of 7.8 - 8.5 and a real high mineral content.

I haven't had any problems with Gesneriads and general and the only problems I've had with Streps were heat/sun exposure related.

Maybe you are keeping your Streps too wet. A lot of people let them dry out between watering almost to the point of wilting.

Also: It can't be mentioned enough to use luke warm water and not cold water.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of might be unsuitable mix. Always use something very light and porous.

I hope that any of this helped...

Olaf

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I have hard water with high pH (8.6) and it makes it hard to grow plants. I have heard that soft water is just as bad as hard water due to the salts and other chemicals in it to soften the water. Not sure about your system. If you have been blessed with rain this year, you might want to save some and try watering with it to see if that helps. Also, growers of these plants will use R/O (reverse osmosis) water that you can buy at larger grocery stores and box stores at a very reasonable price. I would use it myself if it were available in my area.

They can be finicky and difficult at times. I will lose more in the summer and winter than fall and spring. They like the cooler temps but at the same time, I know a hybridizer that can grow anything on his lanai in Florida lol.

Connie

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Well, we crossed posts here lol. Just to add that Olaf is correct with streps not liking their feet too wet but at the same time most are grown on a wicking system...mine included. You do have to use a very light mix to do this. If I understood right, you said you might be under-watering them?

Connie

Brookfield, CT

Yes, I have allowed them to wilt a few times. I did not know about the lukewarm water, though. Our water is on the acid side, if anything. I will make sure to use the R/O water as we have issues with radon in the water (naturally occurring) and so thought it wise to invest in a reverse osmosis system. I think I will try wick watering and add more perlite to the mix since our house is always very dry.

Thank you everyone, for the suggestions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.