Crape Myrtle Id

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I purchased this Crape Myrtle marked as Red Rocket. It doesn't really look like the picture but the description states Cherry red flowers, flecked white.
Does anyone have these and do they look any thing like mine? I think mine has a lot of white on the blooms. If it isn't Red Rocket could someone ID it for me? Sorry this picture is so blurry but you can see the color of the blooms.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I would have thought that the tag was correct as there was a whole shipment of these and they weren't the only ones that I am questioning. The other Crape Myrtle I purchased is marked as Hopi Dwarf Crape Myrtle, stating the color as medium pink. This one also doesn't look anything like the picture on the tag. What I got when it bloomed was this lovely lavender. Is anyone familiar with this variety?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The first one doesn't look like 'Red Rocket'. 'Peppermint Lace' has two-tone pink & white blooms like that http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38094/ The second one it's hard to say for sure whether it is or isn't 'Hopi' because there are too many other cultivars that have similar coloring, and colors can vary a lot in pictures depending on cameras and lighting.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My Red Rocket looks very much like the Peppermint Lace. I think that is it. Thanks.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That second one is not 'Hopi'. This is 'Hopi'...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I wonder why it is that nurseries ship things with the wrong tags. This seems to happen quite frequently with daylilies also.sigh.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, It wasn't just a couple of plants but quite a few of them and more than one type mislabeled.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.