IBonds Good Deal

Southern California, CA

This is from the August 2011 magazine MONEY, page 22.

"I Bonds
The rate on government issued I Bonds, re-set twice a year to keep place with inflation, is currently a whopping 4.6% on an annualized basis, owing to the recent spike in gas prices (that's up from just 0.74% earlier this year). If you buy an I Bond before rates are adjusted again on Nov 1, 2011, you'll nab that 4.6% rate for the next 6 months; even factoring in the penalty for cashing in the bond before 5 years, you'd be guaranteed to earn minimum 2.3% if you pull your money out after 12 months, says Ken Tumin of Depositaccounts.com. And if the new rate is higher than zero, you'll earn more. :You can buy at TreasuryDirect.com or most banks...you cannot redeem for 12 months your investment is limited to 10,000 dollars annually (per social security number) (5,000 $ for treas direct and 5,000 $ at a bank)...buy now to earn at least 2.3% after 1 year."

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!