Leaf spots in a Pseudobombax ellipticum seedling

(Zone 11)

Hello, friends,

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine gave me a little Pseudobombax ellipticum, she had started from seed. It's been a couple of days since it started to get a lot of spots in its new leaf. I'm somewhat worried, just in case it could be something serious that could finally affect the whole plant, specially being so small. It was germinated using the "tupper method" and transplanted into a Jiffy peat pellet, and then again transplanted into a small pot, with a mix of peat and normal substrate. I haven't watered it a lot, just sprinkled it with water at night. It has been outdoors, with a temperature of around 25 degrees Celsius (around 77 F) and not much sun lately. What I first did is reduce the watering a little. I see that its roots are mostly surface roots.

Dos anyone know what it could be and what steps should I take to solve it?

This is a plant that is very rare around here and I wouldn't like to lose it.

Thanks a lot.

Here is a picture of its new leaf:

Thumbnail by Canariensis
(Zone 11)

And this is a shot of its underside:

Thumbnail by Canariensis
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

If you're only sprinkling water on the top, you'll only get surface roots. Keep your leaves dry if you can. I always soak my tender plants in a dish of water and let the soil naturally draw up the water. Takes a bit longer, but helps develop stronger deeper roots and minimize soil compaction. Roots need a chance to breath between waterings too.

(Zone 11)

Thank you, HydroPinke, for the clear and helpful explanation. I think I'll start to follow your procedure.

Anyway, if someone has any idea of what the leaf spots are and what to do about them... I'll appreciate any other suggestion.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2011 12:16 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.