Contorted Filbert

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hello everyone!

I just recently picked up a Contorted Filbert (Coryllus avellana 'Contorta') from Lowes here in New Jersey - they were marking stuff down as the season comes to an end. It is perhaps the most intriguing and unique tree/shrub I have ever seen. Though through my research, I have a few questions that are unanswered ...

I've read this variety is often grafted on to a regular Filbert's rootstock ... Is there anyway to tell for certain if my plant is grafted? What do I look for?

And secondly, I have read about the Eastern Filbert Blight - a common killer of these plants. Is this something I have to worry about here in New Jersey (zone 6b)? I am terrified to put this amazing plant in the ground to have it die shortly after due to this nasty fungus (?). Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Taxonomic note first: it's a cultivar of Hazel Coryllus avellana, not of Filbert Coryllus maxima. It'll also likely be grafted on Hazel rootstock, not Filbert.

If you're lucky, it might be a rooted cutting on its own root, but such plants tend to be very expensive (it doesn't root easily). Look at the base of the stem, to see if there is an obvious grafting join; sometimes it is clearly visible, but often it isn't. Otherwise, if it at any time develops any normal Hazel straight (non-contorted) shoots, then it's definitely grafted. Straight shoots like that will need to be pruned out if you want to keep the plant contorted.

Sorry, can't help with the disease question.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.