designing a quilt for a sliding door curtain .. .

Wichita Falls, TX

Hi! I don't post too often on here, but I sure love reading and learning.

I've been thinking about doing this and need to bounce the idea off others to get more confidence before starting.

I have a sliding glass door on the east side of the house by my dining room table. I love to sit there and look out to my someday beautiful backyard while eating, sewing, reading, etc.

Anyway, quite a bit of warm sunshine comes in through that window in the summer and I'm sure I loose a bit of warmth in the winter. I do not like the idea of drapes on it, nor vertical blinds, so wondering about making a quilt to use during the morning hours. Thinking of using one of the ceiling traverse rods to keep it more user friendly (think kids), doing a large design like the carpenter star, so I can get it done quickly, and making the outside edges dark to hide dirty finger marks.

The window opening (floor to ceiling) is approximately 96 x 96. I want it to open up to be more or less flat so the design will be recognizable.

My questions are:

Do you think this is workable?
Any ideas on what to use as a backing to prevent sun deterioration? I know it shouldn't be too heavy, so hoping to eliminate the middle layer.
Do you foresee any problems?
Has anyone done this?

Advice appreciated. Thanks!

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!