Clerodendrum trichotomum (Peanut Butter Shrub)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Good Afternoon all! Someone on DG blessed me with one of these a few years back. I was honestly considering pulling it up (as it had gotten SO big...I had no idea) and giving to my sis. But then...she bloomed...mercy...she's been filling my yard with such a soft pretty fragrance...not to mention the butterflies love her. Needless to say...she's staying. ^_^ Would you all help me with "how to" with regard to pruning her. If I understand correctly they can be pruned to be kept to a manageable size. How hard can they be pruned and when is the best time to do so? Thanks as always for your help!!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

From backyardgardener.com:

Pruning deciduous shrubs can be divided into 4 groups: Those that require minimal pruning (take out only dead, diseased, damaged, or crossed branches, can be done in early spring.); spring pruning (encourages vigorous, new growth which produces summer flowers - in other words, flowers appear on new wood); summer pruning after flower (after flowering, cut back shoots, and take out some of the old growth, down to the ground); suckering habit pruning (flowers appear on wood from previous year. Cut back flowered stems by 1/2, to strong growing new shoots and remove 1/2 of the flowered stems a couple of inches from the ground) Always remove dead, damaged or diseased wood first, no matter what type of pruning you are doing.

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

Chantell, I have the same question, and almost identical story as yours. Mnine was a cutting that just
bloomed, (maybe they're related, lol)
Anyway, if I find any specific information I'll report back.
I'd like to prune mine this fall, because it grew with 4 very leggy branches compared to a lower canopy looking part of the shrub-tree.
I'd also like to know if those same cuttings could be rooted, because just like you, I've fallen in love with this tree since
blooming.
It's funny you mention butterflies. I see them fly around mine, but don't land. But come dusk there are several skippers
that just adore it, and like hummingbirds, they dart quickly from flower to flower.

I have found this conversation on pruning and care by a couple of online friends:
http://www.cloudforest.com/northwest/forum/20107495.html

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 6:15 AM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Kay...now if I can just find out 'when' the best time to do it...I'll be set. ^_^

Passion - I would think yours would be huge down that-a-way. I know how much growth mine put in this summer....whooo weeee! It has tripled in size. Thank you for your link...I will check it out. My plan is to prune it after it's done blooming. I just don't want my pruning to be the cause of less blooms next year. She may not be the prettiest in the yard but that pretty scent along with the passifloras growing all over the fence..well I'm sure you can imagine how happy I've been in my back yard lately!!

Softwood cuttings in October.

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, that was my question too. It seems appropriate to take in fall, at least where I am. But did not know if hard or soft wood.
Chantell, I kept moving it around the yard for a few years-surely I stunted it's growth.

Passion, I can relate to relocating plants - I do it all the time, then sit and wonder 'why doesn't that plant do well'!

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

Lol Kay. At least I'm not the only gardener that can't make up their mind...'Now do I want the path to go this way or that way,...'At this angle, that's blocking my view of the
garden pool...etc, etc. I'm notorious!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Please allow the seeds to drop from the shrub, before pruning.It can stand a hard prunning in early spring.BTW, the seeds are the beauty, of the shrub.I call it shrub, but it can grow to 15 feet.Mike

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Mike. I was just looking at it last eve, and wondering when I could cut it back. I want to take those cuttings! But it still has the
red part of the flower on it, I wonder how long after flowering they start to make seeds. Do those red parts open up and expose the seed?
I'd love to see it. I'm so impatient, I've never seen it flower before this year.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, when you think all will drop off, it will put on a beautiful display of blue/green seeds, and birds will help them selves, and to say prolific, would be an understatement.The late july/early august bloom time gives us a very pleasant fragrance, to get ready for fall.I like to have a small tree, at various spots around the house.These, along with seven son, are my favorite fragrance.Bear in mind, I have gardenias all around, but still I like theses far better. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh Mike - thank you...that answers my question. You are right...this gals fragrance is lovely - a subtle yet not so scent...it's simply wonderful. Ugh, I just realized Mike I owe you seeds or a plant of the Nicotinia - for the purpose of time, would you dmail me your addy one more time. You've been more then patient...my apologies. Both of the last babies you sent me are doing fabulous...hoping for blooms this winter's end.

Should anyone want cuttings of PB shrub for postage (when that time comes) let me know as I will have a bit.

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

BTW Chantell, I apologize if it seems like I hijacked your thread ;)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

ROTFLOL Passion - believe me when I say I am the LAST person to apologize to. If you only knew....and I'm equally horrible at going off topic...very sad, I tell you. ^_^ I've learned more from these kind folks through the years then I could possibly convey. They are a wonderful bunch!!

Punta Gorda, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, then I will enjoy the company :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.