Lemon Basil

Cantonment, FL(Zone 9a)

I've got lemon basil growing but am not sure what to do with it. I love pesto but don't know if the lemon would be appealing. Any suggestions?

Baton Rouge, LA

I've grown Lemon Basil from time to time.... DH has tried it on Fish... very good.

I plant it near my Tomatoes and consequentially dont have many troubles with insects....

Hope that helps !
Mary

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Both lemon and lime basil are good with chicken and fish. Chop a little and add it to salads and veggie dishes too. The only way to find out if you'd like it as Pesto is to make a little bit and try it, as the taste is quite different from other basils.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Try a pistou. It's like a pesto and still has nuts but no dairy. May make the basil-lemon more intense. Toasted Hazelnuts might taste better with the lemon-basil than the pinons.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

That is interesting SusanKC. I grow Pistou basil and love its' flavor and delicate appearance.

Do you have a recipe for your pistou?

1 1/2 cps of basil leaves
1/3 cp toasted hazelnuts
3 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons of oil
2 tsps of lemon juice
salt

put in food processor and puree until smooth.

I vary what kind of nuts and oil I use. I also saw that the Sauver magazine had a bunch of pesto and pistou recipes in their magazine.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I shred ribbons of it on fruit salads.......and use it in cocktails (like mojitos, etc) Any place you would normally add a lemon wedge or squeeze of lemon, is a potential target! :)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

SusanKC ~ thanks for sharing that recipe. It does sound good (especially with the hazelnuts) and is on my list to try ~ Pistou pistou. Thanks

It is good. We use sweet basil to make it and use it on a number of things including BLTs. BTW - I was looking for the recipe and came across something that said Pistou was french for pesto. Haven't verified that against anything else yet but it's interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.