Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Please help identify these for me:

#1 picture saved as Coleus #5

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Picture #2 saved as Coleus 6

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg
Mount Laurel, NJ

#1 picture saved as Coleus #5, looks like 'red head' to me. If so, it will get quite big, is sun tolerant and grows quite fast. I'll post a picture of my 'red head' so you can see if it looks like it.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you for helping ID my coleus.

They do look alike. Guess I need to take it out of the flower pot.
I don't have to worry about sun; that's one thing I have plenty of.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

What is the name of the other coleus IN YOUR PICTURE. I don't have any that are yellowish or lime green. If I am successful with overwintering my coleus, guess I will work on that next year.

How do you overwinter yours. The last 2 years I have had problems with mealy bugs in the greenhouse. This year I am planning on taking everything out of the GH and clean it well before moving plants in for winter.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 8:38 AM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

pic 2 - 6 elfers?

Thumbnail by onewish1
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Wish, that does look like what I have. I will look into different pictures first before deciding.

Why does H.Depot, Lowes, Walmart, have names on their plants instead of a generic name for everything?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would think the growers do the tagging.. elfers changes colors with how much light it gets.. sometimes hard to tell

Mount Laurel, NJ

Hi PlantsforPeg - not sure who you're asking about the 'other coleus' in the picture, but if it's the one to the right of my 'red head' it is 'freckles'. My picture is actually a little dark, the 'freckles' is quite yellow and orange. I'll see if I can find a lighter picture to post. 'sedona' on the right, which is reportedly a sport from 'freckles'. 'freckles' to the left of 'sedona', 'red head' to the left of that, then the green one is 'dappled apple', with 'kona red' on top right (or it might be 'atlas', I can't tell the two apart now).

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Coleus lover,

I like freckles since the few coleus I have are green and/or maroon.
I am hoping to get golds soon and am wishing for an orange one too.

This year I am hoping to save a few for starters in the greenhouse, but am afraid they will get mealy bugs.

We need to start (all 3 of us) a coleus trade forum. Coleus for Coleus.
Any volunteers???

Mount Laurel, NJ

'rustic orange' (see picture) is a beautiful orange one and very hardy and grows fast. I too have problems with mealy bugs. I really dread it this winter, but I do want to propagate them. I've used bayer systemic and it seems to help but I still havn't gotten rid of them completely. I also killed a few with the systemic (I guess it made it too strong or something). I might try investing in some predator bugs but they are awfully expensive. Has anyone tried this?

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

What predator bugs are good for mealys?
I might want to "propagate" the predotors also.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

no clue.. will be watching for an answer

Mount Laurel, NJ

http://greenmethods.com/biocontrols/cryptolaemus/

Mealy bug predator is related to lady bug but a little different.
Mealybug Predator Cryptolaemus montrouzieri

Unfortunately it's expensive. I think it's about $1.50 per bug. Some sites only sell by the hundred pack, but I think I saw one that sells a pack of 25.
Search the net.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

neat.. thanks!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a question about Elfers, if some of you are experienced with it. Mine came with rounded scallops, in dark purple and greens. Very pretty and just like I ordered it from the vendors. Since then, it SEEMS to have done some different things. The scallops on the more recent leaves are now pointed and it has much more yellowish/gold in it. I noticed that someone said it changes with sun, and I know that's true for most of the coleus I grow, but this is almost like a different plant. It's incredibly beautiful and definitely my favorite. Does that sound right to anyone else? I just want to make sure that I have it ID'ed correctly. I will try to post a picture later today.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I haven't grown Elfers, but found Meandering Linda was a problem for me. I kept reverting and losing it's true identity. Eventually it kept getting smaller and smaller so I quit snipping off what was reverting back to the original plant that was used in the cross breeding. I won't be buying that one anymore.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, just took a better look, and basically, forget everything I said. :) They ARE two different plants, both tagged Elfers. I know which tag is correct. What I need now is an ID for this pretty thing.

Thumbnail by pbtxlady
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Another photo. (The red plant on the bottom right is not part of it.)

This message was edited Nov 11, 2011 3:22 PM

Thumbnail by pbtxlady
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's another I could use an ID on. This one came to me as a cutting from a nursery that was only using it for display, and they didn't keep the tags. It's battered from our recent hailstorm but was a bright yellow during the summer.

Thumbnail by pbtxlady
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

There is a great website that I have been using for identifying coleus. I'll try to get the name for you.

coleusfinder.org

I look at "pictures" and get all the information needed.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2011 4:19 PM

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks. :)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the first one is henna... I know I have seen the 2nd red one.. let me think about it .. not sure what the green is

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

The green looks like Versa "Burgundy to green" Mine gets quite yellow in heat of mid-summer and then darkens as fall approaches. The Versa series are grown from seed and are still fairly new to the market.

http://parkseed.com/coleus-versa-burgundy-to-green/p/51141/

Thumbnail by coleup
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Henna! Of course. I did order that, but my main plant died, and I guess I never tagged my cutting. Thank you. :) The red one next to it is properly tagged. It's either Hot Lava or Hot Sauce, don't remember which.

The Versa series may very well be my NoID. Mine has never been as green as the one in the picture; it's always yellow, and right now fading to very pale yellow. But the leaves and red veins are very similar. It's also very vigorous and easy to root. Nice plant.

Thanks for the help, you guys.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks coleup and onewish.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

:)

Stockholm, Sweden

To the second one: there are some coleus that have the word "Pineapple" in their names (Pineapple, Pineapple Beauty, Pineapple Queen etc) some of them are similar to yours. http://www.naturehills.com/product/pineapple_coleus.aspx

I've had several of those through the years, they are never green, they are always yellow with dark red details. Try Google for them, and see if you agree.

;) Alice

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh oh.. how about mariposa... at the bottom of my photo under the sedona

Thumbnail by onewish1
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Nice, onewish. I love those with bright red/orange colors.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

me too.. I am a screaming loud color kinda gal

;)

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I wish my Mariposa looked like that! I have not had very vigorous growth out of them and have had a hard time rooting them as well.

Love your Sedona too. That is my very favorite. Well, maybe Henna too. You know, my VERY favorites, as opposed to just favorites. :)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have lots of levels of favorites too!!... but really love them all!!

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

My larger coleus are doing the best. The smaller rooted ones seem to be stunted. They are just not growing fast. I try to keep them warm, but with this temp going up and down it's a wonder they are still alive.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I overwinter mine, or try to. I take cuttings in the fall and try to get them potted up in time to get established before they have to come inside. Then they all, cuttings and mamas alike, suffer all winter long. By the first of May I just feel lucky if I still have one plant of each type. My other plants all go in the garage for the winter, but I just can't keep it warm enough out there for coleus, so they have to suffer the dry heat instead.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the dry heat is the only option.. do not want to end up with mush

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Mine are doing better with less water now. The smaller propagated ones are not doing so well.

Mount Laurel, NJ

My coleus in the basement are all doing very well, much better than last year. Some things I did differently this year: Took the cuttings earlier instead of waiting until october. Gave each one of them a dose of Bayer Tree and Shrub Systemic. About 1/8 to 1/4 tsp in a 2 in sq pot. So far, have kept them less crowded than last year. SO FAR !! I still have too many.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looking good!!

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Well, I have been using seven dust on my coleus to avoid the Mealy Bug attack I had last year. I am also watering less than during the summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.