Is this a viable plan?

Byrnes Mill, MO

Short bio: chronic clutterer since tramatic event 22 yrs ago. I don't say hoarder because i don't have problm getting rid of stuff. I have been unemployed for 2 years & will be losing my home in the next 6 mos. So..I must prepare for this and since we may be moving to the car i really have to pair down to what will fit in a 12x12 storage locker for when we get a real place to live again. I have a 2000 sq ft home, full basement & 3 car garage PACKED. To say it is overwhelming is an understatement.

My initial game plan is to start in the basement (has the most workable space). What I have done is set up areas with counter space down there to stage different categories. As I open a box I quickly sort contents into these 8 categories (much like you would find at Walmart/Target) & place in the respective work areas. I am doingthis quickly & not spending any time evaluating what category it falls in. If it is flat out obvious trash, yes i'm pitching it then & there.

Once I finish doing this to the things in the basement, I will take tubs of things from the main living area down there & do the same. Ditto with the garage.

After completing this step i will go through each of these departments and do the keep, donate, trash method. Again, I don't have a problem getting rid of things just overwhelmed in getting started. Unfortunately, i just 'rinse & repeat' and get myself in the same situation. But i won't have time for this go around.

Does this methodology make sense to you all? I struggle so with organizational skills.

Thanks

The method to this madness is I will be able to take the best of items I have duplicates of & discard the others. I have 'sets' of things that are scattered so they can marry up. I can also have bulk of similar items (i.e. Books, Tools) for listings for craigslist for the most efficient disposal of these items.

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!