What are your top three absolutely must get hosta?

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Name your want list top three must get hostas.

Mine are:

Big Kahuna (Brian & Virginia Skaggs) Introduced by Walters. PPAF
It is supposed to be the biggest variegated giant.

Galaxy (Bill & Eleanor Lachman) 1987
An old fertile streaker used for a lot of breeding. I am just starting to get into streakers and want to try my hand at hybridizing and growing some of my own streaked babies.

Skylight (Bev Stegeman) 2001
The bluest blue there is. Only problem is that it is not widely available yet. Blue Wu is a cross between Empress Wu x Skylight.

My want list is finally lower than my have list since I am running out of room. The majority of my wants have to be mini, small and mediums.

Have 243
Want 163

Thumbnail by franknjim
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

interested to hear from others and will have to check out your three frank

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I am loving that Skylight, Frank. Hope you get one and post pics of it.

My absolute must haves change from day to day. I am running out of room too. I want to get what I have to plant into the ground and then spend the winter mulling over what's next..... :-)

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

'Leapin' Lippizan' (Rick Goodenough)
'Humpback Whale' (Mildred Seaver)
'Foxfire Snake Eyes' (Stephen Schulte)

The first two are way out of my price range....but, hopefully will find the Snake Eyes next year!

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Foxfire Snake Eyes looks just like Woop Woop.

Humpback Whale sold for a mere $3,500.00.

Leapin' Lipizzan is very pretty. Too bad it isn't readily available. Who is selling it?

I just ordered 180 Hostas

36 each:

Hosta Barbara Ann

Hosta Fire Island

Hosta Krossa Regal

Hosta sieboldii Elegans

Hosta Sum and Substance

OK now I want Big Kahuna too . . .

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

American Masterpiece (Van Wade 1999, sport of 'Northern Mist')
Now only $100 from Jim's Hostas, lol.

Irish Luck (Naylor Creek 2007, Invincible seedling)
Love, love, love the dark shiny green and piecrust edging.

Grand Prize (Walters Garden 1998, sport of 'Grand Tiara')
Not a new hosta, but I love how much yellow this one has. At $12, it's definitely on next year's shopping list!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

'Yellow Polka Dot Bikini'
Hybridized by L. Jones: year of registration 2005

'Alex Summers'
Hybridized by Santa Lucia 1989

'Gentle Giant'
Hybridized by P. Black, 2005

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is selling 'Leapin' Lippizan' yet. Probably a good thing for me! I do remember looking at 'American Masterpiece' on Jim's site. It is a pretty one!

Virginiarose,

I have all 3 on your list, and Alex Summers is so pretty! Hope you get that one.

Rose

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Rose! I have located Alex Summers and Solar Flare, They are so beautiful. :)

*****************************************************************************************************

adchix, Just out of curiosity, what would somebody do with 36 Sun and Substance?? Not to mention all the others?? SMH

This message was edited Aug 14, 2011 6:25 PM

Ottawa, Canada

I planted 82 new ones this year and bought 9 more the other day. I understand 'Remember Me' is a slow grower. Any advice on locating her as well as 'Lakeside Paisley Print' would be appreciated. To get back on topic, next I would like:

Cup of Grace
Silver Star
Kaleidochrome

Does anyone have these?

Virginia Beach, VA

Adchix,
Why 36 on each cultivar? I think Virginiarose asked this already.

Rose,
I got FF snake eyes, a mini and bought it before it went for retail.

Bellie

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I would like to see a picture of Adchix's yard if you have room for 36 S&S! Wow. I am jealous....

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

irawon, There is a person on Dave's Garden with Kaleidochrome for trade, but they say its not ready yet. Posted Aug.4,2011

http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/search.php?search_text=PFPID:198308

Ottawa, Canada

Thanks for the info, virginiarose. Unfortunately, I live in Canada and can't take advantage of hosta trades in the US. So much for free trade!!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

irawon - my 'Remember Me' is finally looking good and I've had it since spring 2006. It gets a bit of morning sun as it's on the east side of my garden and a bit north of my oak tree.

As far as most wanted hostas, well, I'd like 'Dorothy Benedict' but can't afford her even if I could find her. I've got 'Almost' on my list, but I don't think it's available yet. I'd love a piece of a hosta that the owner of Shades of Green here in Ontario as grown. I understand it's presently in tissue culture. But really, I don't have much space and interesting hostas keep coming my way in trades or by impulse buys at Budd's.

I just received 'Roller Coaster Ride' in a trade and it was on my wish list. Bought 'Raspberry Sundae' at Budd's and it promised to be gorgeous.

Ann

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Oooooh Ann, I was just looking at Raspberry Sundae online a couple nights ago! It's been added to my shopping list for next spring, along with Ripple Effect. I had added several to my shopping basket but managed not to order anything. Thank goodness for bouts of willpower. I really need to work on getting all my stuff in the ground before the weather turns cold.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Here's 'Raspberry Sundae'. Love the colour and the red legs. BTW, it's not yet registered and its heritage seems to be a big secret.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 1:09 PM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Ann, thanks for the pic =) So pretty! Country Garden lists Raspberry Ssundae as "another of Gary Gossett's creations from the breakthrough "Bronze Age" hosta." And I found info about 'Bronze Age' from a couple posts on the GW forum. Basically, it's from Terra Nova's breeding program but not being released until they can make a sterile plant with the same characteristics. So I guess no pods from RS.

http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_14&products_id=713
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0318260330419.html
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0318515314221.html

Well, I'll guess I just have to say that it's nobody's business why I do what I do. LOL

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 10:03 PM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from adchix :
To answer your question . . .

http://madeintheshadenursery.com/

This is an advertisement :(

Ottawa, Canada

Gosh! Gee! Darn! I have 48 on my list. A local nursery had a 20% off sale on hostas this week. I picked up 'Little Miss Sunshine' and 'Fragrant Dream'. Only 'Fragrant Dream' was on the list. LMS had the most incredible red legs and is supposed to remain yellow all season. So, now at the top of the list are 'Ice Age Trail', 'Jaz' and 'Wheee'.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2011 10:02 PM

Quote from virginiarose :
Thanks Rose! I have located Alex Summers and Solar Flare, They are so beautiful. :)

*****************************************************************************************************

adchix, Just out of curiosity, what would somebody do with 36 Sun and Substance?? Not to mention all the others?? SMH

What is SMH? I remember when I used to think it was "Sun and Substance" - Then I remembered my reading glasses. :D

Newport, RI

Elegans
Striptease
Cathedral windows

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I did get Yellow Polka Dot Bikini and changed my mind about the rest. Here is my new most wanted three.

White Christmas
Rascal
Lakeside Love Affair

:):):):)

Here is pic of YPDB, .................. SMH...means 'Smacking my head'

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Virginia Beach, VA

I had yellow polka dot bikini but died.

Belle

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Hi Belle! I might have lost mine, I will do inventory in spring. Some I moved to shade and loss tags so do not recognize them, they look completely different in shade. :/

susan

Ps. I had gotten Lakeside Love Affair from a coop when it first came out but I lost it the first year. Do not know why, but I want another one. Must try again!

Virginia Beach, VA

I just ordered tortilla chips,snow cap,sugar daddy;winter snow.

I can't wait for them to come up. DH gave me room to set up some pots.

Belle

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I've had two White Christmas plants, and both died! The first one was beautiful, and then I made the mistake of moving it...I hope you have better luck with yours, if you get one

The top three on my list would be, American Masterpiece, Amos and Leapin' Lippizan.

Rose

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Rose, where did you have White Christmas planted at, it needs some morning sun. I have not had any luck finding one. Maybe there is a reason for that......

Belle, don't you mean more pots?

Susan

Virginia Beach, VA

Susan,
You had been to my backyard, yes more pots!!!

Need to get together this summer!!!

Belle

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Yes, Belle!!

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

My first one came from Hilltop Farms in Missouri, but they don't do mail order anymore. The second from Jim's Hostas, but it wasn't very big when I got it. The first one was planted in a bed on the north side of the garage where it got no morning sun, and it was a really nice plant!

Rose

Virginia Beach, VA

Rose,
I get a lot of my hosta from Tony Wong of Illinois , he is a collector and the last time has hundreds.

I got all my tiaras from him. D mail me if you want his email address.

What ever happened with what you propagated? Did you get a name?

Think spring.

Belle

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Rose, I will check in with Jim's now and then. I am in no hurry to buy more hostas right now. Here is Montana starting to sprout in a 3 gallon pot!

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Charlotte, VT

I just learned about streaked hostas last fall so I would have to say anything streaked. Love to look at them. Is there a problem with them staying streaked?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

7yes love the streakednhostas also. Just so suttle of a color in most of them. I have strip tease and spilt milk both have streaking. Very pretty.

North Olmsted, OH

I have noticed that Wade and Gatton has Dorothy Benedict seedlings in their online catalog. I don't know exactly what they are but I am going there on my annual trip so I will ask about them. Wade and Gatton has acres of hostas and I always wait until I get there and actually see the plants growing before I commit to anything. I have bought dozens of hostas and daylilies from them and the plants have all been very good.

Rainforest Sunrise has been a slow grower for me. Striptease on the other hand is very vigorous. I also want to get some more minatures--I adore Mouse Ears and Frosted Mouse Ears.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.