looking for "Hot Summer" Coneflower in Ontario

(Zone 4b)

After seeing the raves re the coneflower "Hot Summer" over in the coneflower forum I am now trying to track down this plant in my neck of the woods (GTorontoA) w/o success. I have been to many nurseries the past week but no sign of it. As you know the coneflower selection is dwindling at garden centres at this time in the summer. I was hoping to get it in the ground now so it would be up and running come next spring. By chance might you know of an nursery in the GTA with a historically good selection of echinacea?

(Zone 4b)

FWIW I did find this particular coneflower yesterday. I picked up 4 and will plant them ASAP to have them establish for the frost sets in.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Rouge21, that didn't take you long!
Where did you find it?
Alberta Ann

(Zone 4b)

I had time to search this past week. I called and emailed many different quality nurseries and it was "Mason House" in Uxbridge that had many (albeit small ones) still available.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Good for you, they won"t be so small next spring and you will be ahead of the game.
Enjoy.
Alberta Ann

(Zone 4b)

Ann, I just need them to establish enough to survive my zone 5b winter. But given it is only mid August, I figure we have close to 8 weeks of good growing weather remaining.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Rouge21 you are very lucky to have a 5b as I am in a 3 zone. My cone flowers took a big hit this year with two of my big ones not making the winter. I did have one of the Purpura (sp?) and one called ??? I have to go and look at the tag but its more orangy than pink. I love all the colors that are now available and will purchase a couple at the sales in a few weeks to see if I can fill in the gaps . It seems to me that you have plenty of time to establish those babies.
Alberta Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.