Any info on armadillos ??

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Last night at some wee small hour one of the dogs started to bark at the patio door...bark?bark??BARK???. Dh got up to check it out...there was an armadillo sniffing around!! The patio slab is fenced in wood which is in turn connected to hog wire giving the dogs probably an acre+ to run around. Do armadillos come out during the day or only at night..are they mean or just cute looking..can they outrun a dog??? I figure Dusty (I name everything LOL) managed to slip through the hog wire. This time of year I leave the patio door open so the dogs can just come and go,but still be fenced in. Should I worry about harm to Dusty or the dogs? and I'd probably jump out of my skin if I saw it camped out in the living room. Knock wood so far no snake has wandered in although I have seen some on the patio. Ginger

Armadillos are very benign creatures except for your bulbs and roots. They don't attack, they roll up into a ball when threatened. Very tough shell. They can keep dogs barking all night long sometimes, especially if they can corner it near your bedroom window. They do come out in the daytime, but I've only seen them then deep in the woods, not in civilization. They have some serious claws which they will sometimes swipe at a dog, but they don't very often because they have to unroll to do it. I like them except for the yard damage they can do. They're so prehistoric, a link back to a very ancient past.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.