HAVE: Bitter melon seeds

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

These are the small, about 2-3 in., melons. Got lots; will take postage or trade for them.

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

What would you trade for?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Even I don't cook those that I grow, bitter mellons are a conversational piece in the garden. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

The bitterness is one to contend with but the medicinal properties out way the bitterness in my opinion. Surely they are not anymore bitter than Goldenseal

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, the bitterness takes getting use to but my husband loves them. My dad would stuff them with minced pork, shitake mushroom and waterchest nut, and then steam them. Yummy...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That sounds delicious! I've gotta try some.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

A friend gave me some and I boiled them then used them is stir fry but still the bitterness was too much for us. Maybe if I had coated them with honey?

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

I grow bitter melon, but no volunteers this year. The only way I eat it is
stir fried with cherry tomatoes, peppers and add scrambled egg. Kinda
like an omelette. The bitterness does take getting use too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

If you slice them into very thin strips, wash/rinse a couple time with salt then stir fry with your favorite mixtures of meat. That will rid of some of the bitterness before you cook the squad. Steam stuffed bitter squad (like inthegarden has mentioned above) is the most effective way to lessen the bitter taste, I do think. :))

Zinniared is correct in milk climate, where the soild doesn't freeze. We will occassionally get volunterees the following year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.