Vine ID please

Sumter, SC

This vine came up from Fl with a bare root palmetto. The thick,fast growing vine reminds me of smilax, but the leaves are shaped differently.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I don't know what this is, but I have pulled out lots of it and it's hard to get rid of.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Smilax, they are the masters of disguise, there are many different shapes and even colors of the leaves. I learned on Walter Reeves TV show that the underground tubers can grow to more than 6'.

Sumter, SC

Thanks for the ID, ardesia. I'm surprised I haven't found this vine growing in the woods around here, Entlie. I kinda like smilax, especially during winter, when it grows up boring, deciduous black gum trees and adds visual interest.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Concur with Smilax, maybe Smilax aspera http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/179460/ since it came from Florida. Smilax bona-nox is also a possibilty based on leaf shape. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31746/

edited to correct link

This message was edited Aug 10, 2011 11:43 AM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

A Smilax for sure. Around here it is known as the 'wait a minute' vine.
When you get tangled up in it you holler wait a minute, wait a minute.

It is a food that deer will eat, but I contend they only eat it when there is nothing else to dine on...

This was a photo of a root that a friend had dug up that measured 12" x 8". http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/179421/
These were used for pipe bowls in the past.

Sumter, SC

I think it's smilax bona-nox, based on shape of mottled leaf. Thanks for all the helpful responses! I had no idea there were so many varieties of this hated vine. I have several cut off telephone poles that were harvested and moved to my backyard after hurricane Hugo snapped them. Think I'm going to let it grow up one of them - I already have evergreen wisteria growing up 2 others.

LOL, who knew that had names other than the unprintable ones.

FarmerDill, what's with that first link you mention?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry, had that link in memory due to a debate on Chinese agriculture and just was not paying attention. Supposed to be http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/179460/

Dill, which is the thornless variety that is often used in wedding bouquets? I know it grows here but do not know what it looks like when it is small and I tend to eradicate all the smilax I can while it is still young.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

That is Asparagus asparagoides. ( common names: Bridal creeper, Bridal-veil creeper, Gnarboola, Smilax, Smilax asparagus) http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ASAS4 . No relation to the green briars in the Smilax genus.

Well, who knew, an asparagus! But, somehow the leaves do not look right to me. I am going to have to try and get a picture of what I am talking about for you.

Johns Island, SC

Biggest mistake you've ever made, Donnacreation! Smilax is incredibly invasive! Stuff spreads like wildfire! It's also really mean (hidden thorns). Once it gets hold on your property, it won't let go... Best nip it in the bud, and keep a careful lookout thereafter...one of the few weeds I'm willing to use weedkiller on...

Sumter, SC

Sadly, it wouldn't even be close to the biggest mistake I've ever made, Stono. LOL. But I have to admit you're right - it is very invasive and I'm getting rid of it. Will have to use round up, since it's so close to the palmetto's trunk and newly developed roots.

Johns Island, SC

Sadly, Donnacreation, it may not APPEAR to be the biggest mistake you've ever made, but by the time you (hopefully) get rid of this " #^$&", I think you'll understand! ... Good luck!

Sumter, SC

Ouch, Stono! That hurt almost as much as a *%$!# smilax thorn. Seriously, I already heeded your sage advice, and the vine appears dead. Prepared to reapply Roundup if necessary. Sometimes my self deprecating humor falls flat. Thanks for your concern.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 7:03 AM

Johns Island, SC

You may be on that "thin red line" up there in Sumter that determines the difference between a "useful species" of plant, and an "invasive" one. Onliest way I know to find out is to try it, but if it starts to get out of control, JUMP ON IT. Early! It's truly hard to wipe out, even with herbicides once it gets established. And I hate using chemicals, but I will when I have too! And I have to on Smilax. Having said that, I must confess I'm thinking about potting one up as a houseplant this winter... Gardeners are weird people!

Sumter, SC

I'm afraid I have several varieties of invasive smilax, Stono. I've noticed some growing around the edges of my yard that is mottled like the one I photographed, but the leaves are oblong instead of heart shaped. As ardesia noted, they are masters of disguise, and sometimes I can't see the smilax for the other smilax;-) I like your idea of potting it as a houseplant, and I will continue to enjoy seeing it growing up the trees (mostly gum) that grow in the swampy area of my property. Weird gardeners rule!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I will agree on either several varieties of Smilax or possibly immature versus mature vines.

I have noticed the small ones are distinctly mottled.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.