Epsom Salts on Gardenias

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Is there someone out there who knows the amount of Epsom Salt you mix with water to use on gardenias in containers?

What are your thoughts and experience using Epsom Salts as a plant fertilizer. Please share.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

JB - Horseshoe shared this with me about epsom salts when planting my first gardenia outside 4 years ago "As for the Epsom's salts, I use it sparingly, usually as a foliar spray to encourage flowering. However, if you are planning on using the sulphur to lower your pH plus using Epsom's directly in the soil they'll be competing with each other to do their job (Epsom's will tend to raise the pH slightly, thus my recommendation to use it more as a foliar spray, and do it when the plants are well on their way)."

Chardon, OH

The reason to put epsom salts on a plant is to add magnesium to the soil. Why not just apply a fertilizer for rhody,azaleas,camellias,gardenias? This will add the magnesium while keeping the pH down.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I think after discussing this with several people. We felt that since I use potting soil with the added nutrients that it would not be wise to put the sale on them. That was a few months ago, so I need to go back and see if I am remembering correctly. Thanks so much for your help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.