Need help getting a small patio garden completed for my mom

Homewood, IL

Although I am a native of Memphis, I live in Illinois. My mom really loves her plants and flowers but is no longer able to do so because of the heat. I am thinking of turning her patio into a container garden that she can enjoy and can tend with limited work. The containers need to be large (at least 24" cube if not more) and I am thinking of making them self-watering and constructing them out of the trex patio decking since wood might attract termites. Although I am flexible and would consider using pressure treated wood. I am considering lining the containers with either galvanized metal or landscaping fabric. I would prefer the landscaping fabric so that I don't roast the plants in their containers. Anybody have any ideas on if this will work?

Now for the plants...I need to include something that is attractive year round. I have considered using small shrubs but am at a loss for what can be used in Memphis heat. I would certainly underplant with possibly lavender or perennial herbs sand possibly a reseeding annual. Any ideas for what could take the heat? Nandinas? Considered azaleas but they have many of these throughout their landscape. The patio already has two really good sized Bloodgood Japanese maples and an azalea. They also have one camellia growing in a container as well as a Purple Palace heuchera.

Thanks for any suggestions.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Is patio covered? Do you have any pix? You have already mentioned some shrubs that will work...you may want to look at dwarf lorpetalum and/or dwarf crepe myrtles. Some ferns are evergreens and do well in pots, as well as, hostas...if shady. There are many many more!

Personally, I cannot stand landscape fabric! I think it is a waste of time, money and energy. Most evergreens (for Memphis zone) will not die from heat...if watered ;o) If you plan on buying from a nursery, they should be able to tell you the heat zone of a plant and/or whether it will survive our summers.

Good luck!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

If you made the containers out of the trex would it be necessary to line them? I am not that familiar with that product, but I agree the metal may roast them, and the fabric probably wouldn't accomplish much.......

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I've seen some lined with that bubble wrap but I can't figure out why that doesn't fry the plants also.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Variegated boxwood should survive in the heat and it is easy to keep small with occasional trimming. The variegated adds more interest than just the regular green-leaved boxwood.

Homewood, IL

I've decided to do a test run on one box in Illinois this fall. It will be a variation of the self-watering boxes that mimic the Earth boxes. My text run will use pressure treated lumber, rubbermaid tubs, pvc pipe, casters and additional wood to build the sides. Thinking that exterior grade plywood may be used for the bottom, but I am still thinking about that as that could potentially be a weak point in the construction. The size of the box will most likely be dictated by the size of the rubbermaid tub I use. Still thinking about the wicking I would use though.

For the plants, I am still thinking. I definitely want flowers and I've had one person suggest roses. I've also been thinking about lavender, hydrangea arborescens (not sure about heat hardiness though). I like the idea of boxwood but that doesn't flower. I would definitely underplant with annuals (sweet potato vine, petunias, etc) but the main tree or shrub would be the focus and would have to seasonal interest.

Now I just have to actually come up with the measurements before I cut the wood and I should be OK.

Thanks for the assistance everyone as I have decided not to line the boxes as it would probably be a wasted expense.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Have you considered using a watering system with your planters. Lowe's has a Mr. Mister Landscape for around $30.00 for a 50' kit. Here is a link:

http://secure.misterlandscaper.com/

Easy to install. I did over 400' in my beds this summer and love it!!! The best part is it is made in the USA!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.