Grape Preserves Wouldn't Jell...

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

This is a recipe I've used in the past; it's scrumptious. My grapes are seedless so I don't have to follow the first few steps; I just cook them until soft and then add the orange peel and go from there.

The original recipe called for 1 1/2 lbs. of grapes to 2 1/2 cups of sugar, and I cut it down to one for one, which I'm almost certain I've done in the past. But this time it wouldn't thicken and we have to spread it with a spoon. Any ideas why?

Spicy Grape Preserves
2 lbs stemmed grapes

1 tbsp. grated orange peel

1 cup water
(I leave this out; squashing the grapes in the pot yields enough liquid)
2 cups sugar

½ teaspoon cinnamon

½ teaspoon cloves

½ tsp ginger

Wash grapes; separate skins from pulp. Cook pulp until soft; sieve to remove seeds. Add orange peel and water; cook 10 minutes. Add skins; heat to boiling. Add sugar and spices; cook till thick. Pour into hot, sterilized jars. Seal immediately. Or pour into hot, well-washed jars and store in refrigerator or freezer.
Makes about 4 cups.

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!