Making a homemade Vermicomposting Bin

Fuquay Varina, NC(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know if you can make a vermicomposting bin out of a 5-gallon bucket?? I have an abundant supply of them and want to put them to good use! Thanks!

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

hi homers.. great idea.. you should check out vermiculture board here too.. great people there..
all are very helpful..
thing with 5 gal buckets..your worms will compost that volume pretty fast..
i would recommend cutting holes on sides..even bottom (remember to have a liquid catch under the bucket)
this will aid in good circulation in the bucket.. and make your worms happy campers..
but if you have alot of buckets..why not...
i buy big 37 gal rubbermaid tubs when they are on sale at home depot.. i cut holes all over the
tub..use the lid as a liquid catch.. and cover the tub with cardboard...
my worms are very happy campers..
whats the saying.. necessity is the mother of invention..
great idea homers!!!!
you should go for it ....
good luck to ya..

Fuquay Varina, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for responding tropicalnut! I appreciate all your comments. I will have to make the 5gal buckets work because it's for my Master Gardener group-and of course-funds are always running short and one member has a bunch of them!

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

very cool homers.. you will find tons of ways of using the castings..i sure do..
i have 5 37 gal tubs..i know i could use more castings.. but i tend to go to far
with things..LOL so.. the 5 tubs is plenty... :)
best of luck to ya !!!!

Franklin, TN

Homer, I use a ditch that I keep replenishing with table scraps and clippings. The worms do not go anywhere and I find it much easier to work than a container.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Most of my garden is a vermicomposting bin! I just add leaves, clippings, etc and have millions of happy earthworms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.