Clematis sale

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Garden Crossings: http://www.gardencrossings.com/Vines $9.95 for many clematises!

I've never bought any plants from GC but I will check Garden Watchdog for input.

Wow! With only 4 negative reviews and 244 positive (13 neutral) I'd give them a try!
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3424/

They even have Liberation on sale. It's a huge flower here and blooms very well for me.

Thumbnail by pirl

I bought 8 of them! I am the one who said I didn't need any more but couldn't resist the sale.

(Zone 7a)

I purchased my clems from them and I was very satisfied.

Thanks. That's always good to know. Heidi was most helpful!

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi, I just ordered by phone. I spoke with Heidi, very nice conversation! I ordered Liberation, Empress,Bourbon,Fire Works, Petit Faucon,and two small ones Filigree and bijou. I need to get started on 8 holes! Have a wonderful late Summer. Lee

p.s.. Here is a picture of me and our newest Grandson Jack! Taken Sept. 1st.2010

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

What a sweet photo of the proud Grandpa and Jack, the newest grandson! Congratulations, Lee.

Heidi was very nice and very helpful to me, too.

I received them last week and left positive feedback on Garden Watchdog. I loved the packaging (no peanuts and all plants were protected) and love the plants.

Thumbnail by pirl

Here are the first four:

Thumbnail by pirl

And here are the final four:

Thumbnail by pirl
Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Pirl, Nice looking plants! What is the Martagon Lily I see in both photds? The lily blossoms at at the right of the pics, or 3: O'Clock if you think that way. Lee

They are Black Beauty lilies, Lee. This year they began blooming at least a week before I took this photo on July 24th and the last few are finishing now - not bad to get almost a month out of them and they are such easy plants to grow.

Thumbnail by pirl
Cartersville, GA

pirl, after seeing your post about Garden Crossings sale, I placed an order. I am thrilled to see how mature the clematis are that you received. I had not expected them to be so large. I got an email yesterday that mine had been shipped. I am getting:

Bijou
Madame Julia Correvon
Prince Charles
Empress
Filigree
Hyde Hall
Ruutel and
2 Blue Light 'Vanso' that I ordered for two ladies who saw mine blooming in June and asked me to order them one each. I also must add that I was at Lowe's last Friday and just happened to walk by the clearance rack. Their Blue Light 'Vanso' in one gallon pots had been reduced to $4.75 each. I bought two more for me. I was hard to walk away with only two. It is a good thing that this was the only variety on clearance. I still have 14 in pots from this spring that I will plant this fall. Where they will all go, I no longer know. Two or three short ones coming from Garden Crossings will go in pots placed in daylily beds that have light shade. Clematis like daylilies can be addicting.

Doris

Doris - you make my heart sing. Just knowing another person has no idea where to plant new clem's is so reassuring for my mental health. Considering you have 14 already waiting to be planted, I now feel like a sissy for not ordering more.

I did not order Bijou or Filigree and now I'm annoyed at myself for not ordering them.

You and I both got Blue Light and Madame Julia Correvon. After I thought I had a good spot for Madame, I read more about it on Plant Files comments and it's too robust for where I wanted it unless I reinforce the trellis with four big pieces of rebar.

Our first Lowe's, likely the only one that will ever be built this far east on Long Island, is being built. Maybe I should be grateful that it isn't finished yet. Your mention of the clearance rack gives me thoughts for the future. Thanks!

Cartersville, GA

pirl, I have had to reinforce some of our trellis with rebar. I still have room for a couple on a split rail fence, and some will go to the back of long daylily beds. I have an old metal chair that I used years ago to hook by waterhose and nozzle in to act as a sprinkler that I plan to plant a clematis on and let it sprawl. When I go to thrift stores I am on the lookout for unusual things that I can use as clematis supports. I read on this forum about supports that others use and get ideas. I like your Omoshiro on the stump. We have a huge pine stump around which I planted one that I had dug up and potted a couple of years ago when we had to make some changes in our landscape. It may be Josephine. If not, I will be asking once it blooms next spring.

Thrift shops are where I find outfits for my scarecrow but they seldom have odd items I could use for clematis. I'd love a full size mannequin!

The old metal chair is interesting. Maybe I'll face a trip to the "landfill" (dump) to see what they might have.

Often I go to sleep thinking of what I can use as strong supports for clematis and the hoop for the wood in this photo seems ideal for a duet of clematises so once we finish using the wood this winter (I hope) and switch the fireplace to gas, I would be free to use it in the garden. It would also give me more space in the nursery area a/k/a dog's pen.

Thumbnail by pirl
Cartersville, GA

The wood hoop will make a perfect clematis support. You have given me an idea. I need to check to see if we have any hoops left from half whiskey barrels that have rotted. Every once in awhile I get on a tirade about hauling off all the junk that piles up here. So, we may have gotten rid of them. We do have two blue metal wheels that came from somewhere. I could hang each one of them on a post or something and train a clematis on each. You have given me some ideas to pursue. Thank you.

When I had leftover barrel rings I used them, along with leftover slate and granite pieces, bricks, etc. for places to stand in a garden so I could clip back or deadhead without standing on plants. It has worked very well.

Here it's shown in late April but by late July those daylilies meet in the middle and space would be impossibly tight without a landing pad of some kind. I still have two left. They do break as they age but once they're in place it's not a problem at ground level.

Thumbnail by pirl
Cartersville, GA

I like this. I showed it to my husband. He said that we do still have some hoops from rotted whiskey barrels. I am going to copy your idea and make several of these type patterns in one of our pathways in the garden that we cover with free wood chips provided by a local tree service.

Thanks. I also did this at the front of the garage, on each side. We grow cherry tomatoes in big boxes there and hated the weeds that always seemed to grow around the boxes.

First I removed all weeds, applied Preen (just for peace of mind), and leveled & flattened the soil.

Thumbnail by pirl

Then I put down the weed barrier:

Thumbnail by pirl

Finally, I placed the odd bricks, chunks of granite (free for the asking at any marble/granite shop), and stones. The hoop is in the center because the box covers that area. I did add more stones to level it out. Now it's nice and neat and although a few weeds do find their way amid the stones, they are so easy to remove.

Thumbnail by pirl
Cartersville, GA

How attractive! Thanks for sharing this idea, too. There is so much we can do with recycled materials and a little creativity.

My Garden Crossing order (9 clems) arrived today in a large box. I am very pleased with them.

Wow! You did good, Doris. Please remember to leave positive feedback for Garden Crossing.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3424/

We've had a lot of rain in the last week and the new growth on my Garden Crossing clematises is amazing. Must be 6 new leaves or more on each one!

Lothair, MT(Zone 4a)

Lee, Beautiful grandbaby! I hope you love Petit Faucon. It has been glorious in my garden!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.