Starting Lilies from the leaves.

American Canyon, CA(Zone 9a)

Good Morning All!

I thought I had seen on here, someplace, that you could start Lilies by carefully removing the leaf from the stem and placing the end in moist sand. Did I dream this? At the time I was surprised because I hadn't heard that before and it seemed so simple. This would be great because anyone who has one to even a hundred lilies needs more, right?

If this is the case, would it need to be done at a certain time of year? I was wondering if now would be ok on some of mine?

Thanks!

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I'm going to give it a try. All that can happen is that they would die. I have a regal that I grew from seed and I have been wondering how to propagate it. Thanks for the suggestion. Luciee

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm going to be watching this thread! sounds interesting and I'd love to hear if it works.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Interesting idea but I really doubt it would work. I know it works for succulents, and I guess some lily leaves are pretty robust. Neat idea and I hope it works. I will also watch this thread as I would love to propagate some of mine.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've never heard of this. The only thing close I've heard of is sometimes tissue culture is done using stem segments or flower buds, but even most tissue culture is done with scales.

Are you sure you're not thinking about removing scales and propagating that way?

Only a hundred lilies? LOL. Definitely need more.

I can't find that original post!!

Here is one I did find though:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/667455/?hl=lily+propagation

It mentions a couple of books I have so I will delve further tonight after work!

And I am sure it was leaves, I am familiar with the other methods. This was new to me and piqued my interest....

Here is something else, and actually I think this may have been what I saw!

http://www.growingthehomegarden.com/2009/05/propagating-asiatic-lilies-from-leaves.html

I cruise around the net too much...lol!

So, I am guessing it would only work with the ones that make bulblets at the leaf joints? Anyone have a list of which ones those are?

Thanks!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

There is a whole thread, with a list of specifics http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1009302/?hl=bulbils

Quoting:
We need a comprehensive list of bulbil makers. And from this thread, here it is. Please correct any mistakes. I will keep the list updated.

Always = the type produces bulbils ever year.
Sometimes = plants must be induced (somehow) to produce bulbils.
Unknown = I couldn't tell by the post which it is of the above.

Alex 2 - unknown
America - sometimes
Bali Hai - unknown
Blood Tiger - always
Cathedral Windows - sometimes
Champagne - unknown
cheryl Ann - sometimes
Commander in Chief - sometimes
Dryrot - always
Firetruck - sometimes
First Crown - unknown
Lilium bulbiferum - always
Lilium lancifolium - always
Lilium lancifolium var. flaviflorum - always
Lilium lancifolium 'Flore Pleno' - always
Lilium leichtlinii - sometimes
Lilium leichtlinii var. maximowicvzii - always?(please see discussion below, beginning July 25)
Lilium sargentiae - always
Lilium speciosum var. album - sometimes
Lilium sulphureum - always
Loretto - sometimes
Marilla - unknown
Momentous - always
Nutcracker - sometmes
Ove - always
Pink Panther - unknown
Prawn Tiger - always
Queen of Spades - sometimes
Red Dutch - sometimes
Robinson's Comet - always
Rochelle - always
Starburst - unknown
Taco Sauce - always
Tiger Babies - sometimes
Tropical Dream - sometimes
Yellow Electric - unknown
Yellow Star - unknown
Zeus - sometimes
Zeus Pink - sometimes

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How very interesting! Thank you!

Boy, that's impressive. I even have a couple.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I just added Indian Brave to the thread

Thumbnail by Moby

Moby!!! That is the link I posted this morning! LOL!

You are going to have to be quicker than that to beat me! LOL!

I hope you know I am just kidding :)

Seriously though, doesn't that look cool? I can't wait to try it! What do you think, any time the leaves are green would be an ok time to do it, now?

I went to the url and that is great. I wonder if it is too late to try it. Maybe keep them indoors all winter? do both orientals and asiatics face upward? I get confused which is which, or maybe both have both upward and downward facing.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice bulbils you got there, Moby!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Heck, that isn't even the really juicy one! These have multiple scales ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

mestalla, each type of lily can face up, down, & front. It can get confusing. Also the different shapes of the flowers. It is fun learning about them & it never stops

Okay. I will stop driving myself nuts. Can't remember if I mentioned I dug up my downward turning, very short, yellow lilies. I have limited space and they are not very attractive. I have some new lilies coming from the lily garden and need the space. I don't mind the tall varieties that turn down and have really huge flowers. The yellow ones were very small

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

In 10 days, I have found out that this is not going to work for me. All my leavesd died. I was able to get 2 small bulbs from the bottom of the stem and they are doing well. Luciee

Hmmm, and they said it could be done...

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I have another few bulbs from the main plant. If they all survive the winter, I should have a good collection next year. Luciee {;^)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.