August...the start of Spring....

West of Brisbane, Australia

Dombeya ianthotricha, from Carol Kerkin's stall. She gave a talk at last year's festival--a really engaging person and enthusiastic gardener.

I bought my dombeya from her last year and I don't know anyone else who sells them. In Australia. Although there must be someone somewhere ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Dombeya calantha. I haven't even heard of this dombeya, but Wanda had it for sale.

A Google search finds that it is a synonym of Dombeya burgessiae, which I am growing from seed. Hmmm, will have to do some more research ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Justicia guttata 'Fruit Salad'. Another one from Wanda's stall.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's the label on that justicia.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Porphyrocoma pohliana (aka purple shrimp plant). Another one from Wanda.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Great pics Cestrum. I wish I had been there.
If you ever see any clivia seed around , let me know. I am after any named seed to eventually breed with mine.
Love the color of the dombeya. I have never seen one before.
No markets like that any where around here sadly.
Jean.

Label for Porphyrocoma pohliana.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Hi Jean, I've got some treats for you!
Or maybe *torture* might be the word, given that all you can have are photos!!

The genus that Wanda has concentrated on this year is salvias. At least half of her stall was made up of them.
You could plant an entire garden with the variety on offer.
Here's just a sample.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

More from Wanda.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

More salvias from Wanda.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Yet more of Wanda's salvias.
Jean, you'd better go and have a cup of tea and a lie down LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Jean, that pink and white salvia from my friend's garden is apparently Salvia coccinea.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's the label. Apparently it's an annual. You wouldn't guess it from my friend's garden because of the way it self-sows.
Wanda says that it does cross-pollinate readily, so the seedlings can be in different shades of pink/white and of different heights.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Salvia 'Coconut ice'. I don't know if this is a common salvia, but I thought it was very pretty.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

The label.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Salvia 'Timboon Red'.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I've tried to post the image of the label for Timboon Red twice already.
Third time lucky ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I *really* like this one because it was so unusual: Salvia confertiflora, from Carol Kerkin's stall.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

That's it for the salvias.
I found this at Wanda's stall: anyone know what species it is?
You can let Wanda know on her Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grandmas-Garden/118201654869402

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Um, I don't actually use Facebook myself but Google found Wanda's page for those who do.

This stall has a good selection of tube stock. Last year they had trays of Michelia champaca in tubes--I just wish I'd found them several years earlier because by that stage I already had three champacas in my garden.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 4:44 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Clifton Springs, Australia

There are some very pretty ones there....they are an amazing species...

Last year one of our Brug fanciers bought some very pretty doubles...I remember a lemon one in particular..can't remember who though.....do you remember if it was this seller, cestrum?

I love plant markets, you never know what you will find..
Those Dombeyas are something special aren't they.....

More of the tubes.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

I don't remember, Dianne. But last year Wanda did have doubles (grown from seedlings, illustrated with her own photos of the brugs in flower).

This is from another stallholder whose name escapes me. He said it was a 'perennial nasturtium'. But it looks like an ordinary yellow nasturtium to me, although very pretty in a hanging basket.

That's it for now--have to rush off and do some things ...

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

The tropical hibiscus display.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

The native hibiscus stall. And here ends the tour :-)
There was more but my memory card was full.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 6:34 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Cestrum, you are one mean lady. You know I want all those plants.
Well, not all, I do have a few . I am lucky with salvias because there is a lady who grows only salvias on a farm near here.
She has hundreds and is always buying more from different breeders.
I can get any I want there, I have been to her place and it is wonderful when they are all in flower. She has some that grow as tall as her house.
I wish I lived near markets like that one though. They are such fun to browse through arent they ?
That nasturtium may be called perennial because it self seeds. Mine do and they are fantastic for covering bare spots.
Love the allium flower, but I havent a clue as to species.
Thank you for the lovely tour.
Jean.

Jean, your local salvia lady beats my once-a-year garden festival!
My nasturtiums self-sow freely too--sow them once, you've got them forever--but the man was insistent that it was 'perennial'. There are perennial varieties, eg a small yellow called Tropaeolum peregrinum. See here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/868/
But this looked just like an ordinary nasturtium.

BTW, which salvias (of those shown) do you have?

Dianne, I forgot to say that there were dwarf abutilons. I saw people carrying them but, by the time I got to the stall, they'd sold out. My friend bought 3--for $5.50 each! I'm sticking to my seeds :-)

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 8:53 AM

Merino, Australia

Cestrum, I have Sierra Pink plus that Raspberry at the back of the pic, bethelli, which is the same species as the Coconut Ice in the pic.
I have a few of the coccineas. There are quite a few.,some are annual.
I do like that confertifolia but it is frost tender so may not grow here. I will see if my salvia lady has one
I couldnt read all the labels but I did see flowers that look like some of mine. I never knew there were so many salvias around until I got a few of my own then went looking.
This site is great for pics and info on them even if it is in England.
http://www.robinssalvias.com/blue/default.htm
Jean.

These are the only two Lanterns opened out of hundreds of buds on mine ...all chopped right back as instructed by the Fire Dept.
OUCH !!!! I guess they will grow back better than ever but the Spring show is now gone.
cestrum I agree with Jean you are one cruel gardener waving all that stuff around :)
Exploring Nurseries was my favourite Sunday thing to do once ...thanks for all the lovely pics.

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Cestrum , did you buy any of the mini lanterns from that site we were all looking at ? I think Dianne did.
Mine havent arrived as yet and I wondered how long any others took.
i do know it takes a while from overseas, but not this long.
I'll wait until later in the week then get in touch with them.
Jean.

Chrissy that deep pink lantern is very pretty....sad that you won't get your Spring show....but you can compensate by taking your cuttings...and they will be a good size when you move...
Did your compost arrive this weekend for the veggie garden?

Oh those Hibiscus, cestrum they are so beautiful.....
I wonder how Allan is getting on..they were his passion before he moved...
You have so many plants, do you grow Hibiscus too?...
I know that you have the native ones...I didn't know that they came in Pink...mum had the Apricot and the Yellow...

Has anyone received their Abutilon seeds yet?....seems like a long time ago....

Just saw your post Jean....I was wondering the same thing...
I just checked and I sent my payment on the 2/8.

Here's my Donut peach....bees everywhere.......

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 2:06 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

An interesting selection of abutilon blooms, Chrissy. It is a shame, but they will grow back better than before. Me, cruel? (Evil laughter ...)

Here are the first flowers on my green (non-climbing, non-variegated) abutilon, not sure if I have a proper name for it. Also not sure if the buds will open up or stay closed in the typical Chinese Lantern fashion. The variegated leaves in the background are from another abutilon which has yet to flower.

Ladies, I have not ordered from that nursery and so can't tell you how long postage normally takes.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's an unusual native hibiscus I bought yesterday: Hibiscus insularis, aka Phillip Island hibiscus. I saw a hedge of it in a presenter's Brisbane garden on the ABC gardening show, although I won't be able to grow it that way. A curiosity, really.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Dianne, I do have a few native pink hibiscus, pictures of which I've posted on these forums (see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7753037 ). And now I have a few more :-) What's interesting about this native one is that, in contrast to my native pink hibiscus with prickly green leaves, this one has soft grey leaves. Frustratingly, I think it's just labelled 'native hibiscus' or 'Alogyne'. Jean, does your Alognyne have these lovely velvety leaves?

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 1:52 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

No Cestrum, my purple alogyne has still mid green leaves which stick to you when you are diving among the branches.
I did have a pink with the softer lighter leaves but I see it has died off. I will have to pull it out. The leaves were similar to the lavatera.
I wonder why it died .
One of the lavateras did the same thing. Just started dying branch by branch. I have had several shrubs & trees do that here.
A large golden wattle, some hebes, a mealeuca and a few others over the years. It seems to just happen and has no effect on any surrounding plants.
In fact, I have taken a few dead branches off a plant which then went on to grow perfectly well.
Weird.
Dianne, I just checked my book and I bought my abutilon seeds on 8th of this month.
Not really such a long time , it just seemed like ages. I have had seeds take up to 6 weeks from overseas. It just seems long.

Jean.

I'll have to get that hibiscus identified when it flowers.
Meanwhile, look what's in flower on the western side of the house, my native Hibiscus heterophyllus 'Abbeys Tangerine' (or 'Abbys Tangerine'). The flower is not as strong and luscious as it was in previous warm-weather blooms.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Full-on view. It's a prickly one, though.
That's why it's recommended for planting along property boundaries :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

It's beautiful cestrum...I knew that you had peach/apricot ones...but forgot about the pink..

It's never been this particular (i.e. light) shade before--it looks more apricot now. I'm sure it will darken in warmer weather. I forgot to say that apparently this is one species that is a better plant when grown from cuttings--bushier and more freely flowering. Read more here: http://www.hibiscus.org/species/hheterophyllus.php

It's a balmy day here after yesterday's rain and the backyard is now awash with the perfume of the port wine magnolias. But look what I found on one of the champacas: a ripe seedpod. Must be from an early-autumn flower. Of course, I've had ripe seedpods for a few years now--hence all the champaca seedlings in/around the brug pots--but they were all from my no. 1 (oldest/biggest) tree. I think this is the first seedpod on this (no. 2) tree.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2011 4:26 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's my second batch of sprouts: fenugreek. They smell a bit pungent so I'm not sure if I'll be able to eat them raw or will have to stir-fry them ... would be a shame because the purpose of growing sprouts is to get that concentrated nutrition from the raw sprouts.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.