fig tree sprouts

Novato, CA(Zone 9a)

Anyone know how to stop sprouting from the base of my fig tree? A "friend" decided that my tree needed to be pruned and the result was brutal. I cried when I saw it..not a leaf left and it was my favorite shade tree in the summer. Well, it came back and even has figs as I write but the base constantly sends up suckers. I have chopped, sprayed, chopped,painted them, chopped and they continue sprouting. HELP!!!!!!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Root them and send them here!!!!

Novato, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd be glad to send you a whole tree(Have several) but the shipping!!! I will try to root some for you.Give me a ittle time and e-mail me occasionally to keep me on top of it if you are serious.

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

I don;t know of any other way to control this sprouting of fig trees, apart from pruning with a usual prune very often.

If you happen to see wild fig trees, you will understand how they defend themselves: the more bushy they are, the more difficult it is to reach the figs !!

A traditional (in Greece) way of controlling this somehow, is to paint the trunk form the soil upto 1.5 meter high with a lime solution. You will need to prepare this carefully, because it is harmful to the eyes. This will also protect it from diseases and insects climbing up.

In Greece it is traditionally done for most trees a little before Easter.

Dimitri

Novato, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank-you Dimitri. Was in Crete several years ago and fell in love with everything Crete!!!! Infact, was in Rethymno!! Wish i was there as i type!!! Thanks again!!

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Crestedchik,
it is very easy to grow fig trees by planting a cutting (about 60 - 80 cm long and 1 - 2 cm wide, in the soil for 15-20cm) and letting it develop new leaves in the Spring. It will be ready for planting in the ground a year from now.

Dimitri

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Some one sent me a cutting last year but - as usual- I killed it.I am really rooting challenged.LOL. Daltongirl,If you ever get any that are rooted and need a new home let me know!!!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Crested, did you ever get your fig trees? I can root them easily from cuttings, and will be pruning mine next month. Or I can probably find some starts around the bush, and send you as many as you would want. Let me know, and I will keep you in mind as I work with mine and a couple at an old home site behind me.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

YES, I Did ,and I love it.She sent me a big chunk and I have 6 of them coming out of it.They are about 2 feet tall right now.I don't know if I'll ever get figs but I love the shape of the leaves.Thanks for the offer Aimee,I might take you up on the offer though,I don't know what kind I have so if I had 2 different kinds I would have a better chance of getting figs?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.