ID on caterpillar if you can please!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Ok so I've had this one munching on my brug all week - I remove her but everyday she crawls back...pest or keeper?

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

and I thought the dill looked like it was missing some stalks...lose her or keep her? oh and when I tried to feed her some parsley (cause it's in the same container for crying out loud..two orange antennae popped up quickly and then receded..woa...)

Thumbnail by rednyr
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Your first one looks like some type of moth, don't know if it is good or bad. The second appears to be a black swallowtail, definitely a keeper.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Ardesia! I thought it strange the one preferred Dill over Parsley ...a cat with a taste preference...lol

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think you just have a fussy one, they generally love the parsley also.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

We had some swallowtail cats on the parsley at work. I hid the plants until they left to cocoon.
There's a cat that loves my maypop, which is the only reason I let the plant grow all over my plants in one garden.
Barb

Sumter, SC

I love our cold hardy passiflora, but last year it climbed up and suffocated a large wax myrtle that I had limbed up. Just a few days ago, I pulled a huge mass of vines from a loquat tree that was almost completely covered. I hated doing it, because I love gardens that look a little overgrown and/or neglected. I did purchase 2 less aggressive passifloras from the clearance rack at lowes back in June. One is "blue bouquet" and I think the other was labeled "clear or blue sky". They're almost ready to bloom, and I'll post pics. I noticed last year that the biting/stinging caterpillar that likes oleander - sorry, can't remember it's name - also loves our good old native maypop vines.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.