First batch of compost!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

First batch of castings from my worm box!
I was quite surprised at how much was in there. It's been spread around my gardens and Mother Nature obliged by sending down a steady light rain all night.
Just had to show off!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Here's the box itself and as you can see, the front right corner is very wet. After reading a post from a few days ago, I'm going to shred some more paper and put it there to absorb it.
it's a big box, 2.5' x 5' x 2.5'.
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I use watermelons too and find they do add a LOT of moisture.

Try this experiment- take a small flower pot and scoop up some of the worm castings you recently put on your garden. Now pour in a cup of water and see if it drains quickly. Mine always drains quite well. If it drains ok, and if only the "watermelon corner" is wet, then the worms will have migrated to the other parts of the box and are safe.
Paul

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

That's a good idea.
I did poke around underneath and realized that the holes were clogged. Unclogged now, so that should go a long way to keeping things drier.
Of course, Irene is supposed to be visiting this weekend, so the bin may end up being the driest place!
Barb

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Did you furnish your dear worms with life jackets? I hope all is well; I know your island gets "pretty wet" (an understatement, I know.)
Paul

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Absolutely! Little tiny Mae Wests!
Our backyard drained by yesterday and is almost dried out now.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Barb,
May I ask where you got your worms? I live north of Wilmington (although currently in Afghanistan) and am planning on putting in a bin later this fall and I am curious if you got them in the local area or did you do mail order?

Thanks,
Mike

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I bought them at the fishing supply store on 117, North of Wilmington, near Rocky Point. Can't remember the name, but it's the only one on that road around there.
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.