Morning Glories 2011 #11

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We were here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199445

Lav Sazanami looking more like Blue Sazanami

Thumbnail by patootie

Blue Marble not. I love this one, thanks Helena.

Thumbnail by patootie
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

103 and climbing here today, 107 for tommorrow and 110 for tuesday, Jackie, Ugh. That lavender bloom on previous thread looks like Liz's Lav Beauty I grew out last year..

Helena, missed your post at the end of the previous thread. Very pretty bloom.

Debra, our temps are almost as bad here. 103 tomorrow and 104 Wed or Thurs. 100 + every day for
a week. Sure is getting old, just ruining our summer. Too hot to get outside, just long enough to take'care of the animals

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Jackie - Your Lavender Sazanami sure does look like a pale blue in your photo! Very pretty bloom! Love those little flecks in it! And I agree that the Blue Marble NOT is quite stunning! The color is really something else! NICE one!

Debra and Jackie - OMG! I can't believe the temps y'all are getting. Horrible! I see you will be missing the rain that is sweeping across the northern states. And I heard the tropical storm fizzled out along the Texas coast and they didn't get much rain at all from it! Pretty devastating heat wave the middle and southern states are getting right now. I sure hope that changes soon and y'all get some rain. The bad thing is by the time you do, it will cause flooding because the ground is so dry now. What you really need is some sprinkles for about a week and then some heavy rain. I hope you get it!

Thanks Becky, we had a chance for rain, good chances 60 % and 40% but it didn't happen.
As the temps warm up, the chance for rain disappears completely.
My water bill last month was 143.00. ouch!!! I'm in the country and its just for water.

Did I say i love this mg? lol

Thumbnail by patootie
szarvas, Hungary

Helena, this one is a beauty!
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/07/30/helenahkh/e4e723.jpg
Karen sells some seeds right now on ebay.

Gautier, MS

Thank you Becky, Jackie and Dany for the compliments. I grew a lot of Karen's seeds this year.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Jackie - Beautiful Dracula! It is such a neat blooming vine! Antoinette picked the perfect name for it! LOL! Usually comes pretty true from seed, too! :-)

So sorry to hear of your high water bill. Ugh! I am on well water and a water softener, but I use the direct well water for watering the plants. No salt in direct well water which would kill my plants. So I pay a higher electric bill (which probably isn't too much higher to water plants), but no water bill. :-) I hate the taste and smell of the city water. We drink and cook with spring water in the large 2 1/2 gallon containers.

Helena - Pretty bloom! Love the darker blue outline! :-) Karen's seeds do produce some special vines and especially blooms!

Thanks Dany! for the heads up on Karen selling some more seed packets currently! :-)

Here is a Pink Porcelain Blizzard bloom today. The seed did not come from PP though, it came from either a cross with with Mauve Splash or Sazanami. I say that because I planted only Mauve Splash seeds and Sazanami seeds in these containers. When I saw the typical Pink Porcelain bloom, I figured somehow a volunteer found it's way into the container. But now I realize that it is a cross. Comparing the blooms, it looks like a cross with Mauve Splash. The Pink Porcelain blooms had lots of pollen that I used to try to cross with both Mauve Splash and Sazanami. But Sazanami blooms were often completely sterile. No viable anthers or stigmas in them.

Neat how the blooms turn out from a cross, isn't it???? :-)

This message was edited Aug 1, 2011 12:44 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Helena, another gorgeous bloom. .
Thanks Becky, you know I'm crazy about Count Drac.
If I don't get busy spraying for whiteflies and spider mites,
some of my vines will die without ever blooming
Becky, love your Pink Porcelain Blizzard. It looks like Mauve Splash, same pattern, just pink.

Gautier, MS

Jackie, your count Dracula is beautiful and the vine looks very nice too!

Becky, beautiful blooms you are growing this year!!! Really neat cross!

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh I just love all those in your collage Becky... you do have great crosses growing this year...

Jackie, Count Dracula is a neat mg. I like it too.

I agree with Dany, those speckled are special and very nice layout.

Appreciate the compliments everyone! I'm enjoying all the blooms ... mine and everyone else's! I found rust fungus on one of my newest outdoor MG vines. Grrr ... and so it starts ... rust season has arrived in Florida. (sigh)

These two vines are totally different cultivars. One is Kohkan and the other is Xiong's. Boy! Do they look similar ... even the leaves. One is from Japan and I believe the other is from Korea? The bloom with a slight blizzard pattern is actually part of the vine of the one on the right. It was leaning over onto the Xiong's vine.

4 more blooms on Fuji no Monet! This vine is sure making a statement with all the blooms the past few days! :-)

I can always tell when the vines are reaching the end of their life cycle by the blooms. On all the Mauve Splashes that I have grown so far, they always seem to get these almost white blooms. Rather interesting how the blooms change like that!

I. indica blooms. Still going strong through the heat of the day!

More white is showing up in the most recent blooms on Sazanami, too!

I really like looking at everyones beautiful blooms, love them all. ;D

Thanks, Debra! I hope you start getting more MG blooms soon!

More lavender blooms, too!

And last ... 2 blooms from Blue Speckles! Blooms are bigger!

Thanks Helena, your soft Blue bloom is gorgeous.
A , love it when count Drac throws this shade of blue, really special.
Becky, gorgeous blooms you're getting.
Beautiful no Monet and so many blooms.
Becky, my Blue Saz did that last yr with the wide white swatches, so did the Lav Saz.
Yours is a beauty.
Blue Speckles is a stand out.

Gautier, MS

Thanks everyone!

Great show of blooms Becky!! Waiting to see more of yours Debra and Jackie!

Becky's DFNM giving me more blooms this morning!

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Love it!

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Sidicare

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Pink fuchsia no id ???

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Neat Black King

Thumbnail by helenahkh
szarvas, Hungary

Helena, this one is too beautiful!!
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/08/02/helenahkh/999dbb.jpg

This year you have how many plants? there are always new cultivars!

Thank you, Jackie & Helena!

Helena - I agree with Dany that the DFNM blooms are stunning! Happy to see them come true from your seeds. Will be interesting to see if the next F2 or F3 will continue to produce those nice diluted blooms! :-)

Gautier, MS

Thank you Dany. Well I had to go out and count by small sections to figure out how many vines I'm growing. I have 68 in pots and 39 in the ground. I had some that already died and do have a few that might be close to it.
I didn't think I had that many still, the purpureas I have got all dangled up around each other so I hardly ever take any pictures of them.

Thanks Becky, I sure hope DFNM will come true again when I grow it. It's been a eye pleaser for sure!!

Helena, the diluted is a beauty. One of my favorites

Quote from patootie :
Helena, the diluted is a beauty. One of my favorites

Truly beautiful.

Gautier, MS

Thank you Jackie and Debra. I'm really happy to see all these blooms too!

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Pink rayed

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Black King

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Just a no id

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena - More lovely blooms! I really like that Pink-rayed one! Very nice! Is your Sazanami bloom that light of blue or was that caused by flash? Pretty bloom! Love them all! ♥

This message was edited Aug 3, 2011 10:00 AM

Gautier, MS

Thank you Becky. The Sazanami is that pretty light blue. I like the pink rayed too.

I wanted to give Becky the credit for the Kikyo blue speckles. I labeled the seed and pots when I started them, 2 seeds of blue speckles seeds from Becky and 2 from Antoinette. I knew it was going to be a neat vine when I saw the leaves curling. It has been a good bloomer too.

Becky's Kikyo blue speckles

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena - Thanks for letting me know that the Blue Speckled Kikyo came from my seeds. I swear that Blue Speckles vine that I grew originally has produced some of the most interesting vines/blooms that I've ever gotten from seeds! Sometimes ya just get lucky! And that original vine came from a seed from Antoinette! All I can figure is that either the bees were very busy in my yard as I had a LOT of different vines growing outside near each other that year or the BS has some very interesting dominate and recessive genes in it's gene pool that are coming out in the F1 vines! :-) It's all good!

Gautier, MS

Becky thanks for sharing your seeds with me. It's been a great mg year for me!!

Here's one of Karen2005 Pink speckled bloom growing among my salvia.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.