when will I have Zucchini

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Its our first year trying to grow zucchini. It is now July 31st, the plants are HUGE, healthy-looking, and have blossoms, but we don't see ANY developing fruit. Seems when I was a kid we had these things coming out our ears by now. Any local gardeners with advice?
We started them from seed directly in the garden, must have been around the end of April. We're wondering if they will eventually produce anything?
The picture below was taken July 8th, you can see the plants in the foreground, near the tomatoes, which are doing great....

Thumbnail by museumgirl
Dearborn, MI

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080713044155AALYMXq

If they are like tomatoes, once the temperatures get high, the pollen is ineffective. See what happens when the weather cools. (Not this week)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Come on up. I have tons of the stuff I can give you. Not sure why your blooms aren't turning into fruit. You can eat the blooms you know. Google recipes for it. Hope you get some soon.

Lexington, MI(Zone 6a)

I see flowers so you should have some soon. But it looks to me like your garden may be too shady and that's slowing them down. Mine are in full blazing sun and even though I planted them really late (the end of June) we're now having trouble keeping up with them. The heat and rain this last week really brought them on. Pretty soon you should need to check them every day.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

You may be right-I just talked to my mom, who gardened in Michigan for years, and she agrees that it is too shady for them. That photo was in July-there are only about 2 flowers now, and they are looking pretty sad. I'll keep an eye, but if I don't see anything soon, I think they'll need to go. Mr Husband is getting aggravated that they are smashing is treasured Basil plant! :))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.