Fertilizing & PruningTrees, Shrubs, Conifers

Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm trying to simplify for myself some general rules of thumb concerning tree,shrub,conifer fertilizing and pruning. I've look at lots of detailed pruning calendars - but wanted some simple rules of thumb.
Here's what I'm coming up with and I would appreciate any thoughts/corrections:

For all non-conifers don't fertilize or prune later than 8 weeks before last frost date. This is because pruning or fertilizing stimulates new tender growth which needs time to harden off so that it doesn't get killed off by the first frost.
Prior to this date care must be take to not prune off next year's flowers. (If it blooms on old wood, need to know WHEN blooms are set and trim before that time, If it blooms on new wood then not an issue)

Conifers
This is where I'm not sure....Can fertilizing be done at any time?
Should light trimming/pruning also be avoided aftter the 8 weeks before last frost date or doesn' it matter?

I'm not look for "optimum" pruning/fertilizing time for individual plants - i'm looking for general across the board 'cut off' dates..

Thanks for any expertise you can share.

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

i am definitely not qualified to answer your questions in detail but can provide some info from my personal experiences.

I've never fertilized my conifers (except when growing seedlings) but have done extensive pruning. I prefer to do the majority of my pruning after the spring growth (ie. spring wood) has finished, approx. 2nd week of July up here. This allows me to see the current year growth so I can correct accordingly and to allow the tree to heal naturally (natural resin flows freely) while it is vigorously growing (vs. winter). BUT I HAVE PRUNED CONIFERS AT ANY TIME WITH NO ILL EFFECTS. If heavy pruning is required, I prune NO MORE than one third.

A common mistake is to prune large branches too close to the main stem - be sure to prune just outside of the branch collar, this allows the healing process to work best. And don't use any sealants on any of your pruned branches (exceptions would apply if you have to prune any sharp lobed oak ("red oak family") during the growting season in an area with oak wilt).

- In short, prune conifers after spring growth has ceased (but no deadlines are necessary).
- As you stated, prune deciduous trees and shrubs in mid-to-late winter (caution for species that set flower buds the previous summer (e.g., lilacs, forsythia, and some flowering Spireas that flower early, others?) - For the lilacs, I prune IMMEDIATELY after flowering.
- I don't fertilize my shrubbery (coniferous or deciduous) except for some compost every few years worked into the ground (for deciduous shrubs). My philosophy is that if my shrubs are too happy they may not want to flower (likely an erroneous belief I'm sure, lol).

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Re flowering shrubs, I have been following the "May Rule" that says--any shrub that flowers before May first should be pruned immediately after flowering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.