looking for super fragrant liliums

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

It's getting time to think about ordering some lily bulbs and I'm very interested in getting some VERY FRAGRANT lilies. If you know of a lily that's super fragrant, other than orientals(I don't have much luck with them), please post them here. I have Ariana (sp) and absolutely love her for her height and her extreme fragrance. I'm getting itchy to start ordering. :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Go for the orientals, trumpets and OTs and you'll have a nice smelly garden. :)

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Moby, do you have a favorite that has strong stems, multiplies well and has an awesome fragrance?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

'Silk Road' is a classic. 'Invasion' is my absolute favorite, as everyone that smells it agrees that it has a 'bowl-me-over' intoxicating fragrance, but not cloying sweet. Tall and very strong stems, lots of blooms.

Thumbnail by Moby
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I need to plant more lilies !! Any one haveing a sale soon ??
Gloria

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The lily vendors will have their catalogs updated and ready for ordering very soon.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm getting the lily itch LOL
Gloria

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Crystal Blanca. Like Casa, but shorter and much tougher, and with more buds so you get multiple flowers. And no staking!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Moby, I haven't been able to find 'invasion'. Where did you get the bulbs?

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

The Lily Pad has it for sale this season. The Lily Nook also but IMO too expensive with all charges considered.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

In the last two weeks I received B & D's catalog and another from Faraway Flowers. Both are wonderful.

Conca d'Or has a wonderful aroma and is a sturdy, reliable bloomer. Mine came from DG's Mainiac (Ramona) - Faraway Flowers.

Thumbnail by pirl
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

keep 'em coming. I'm getting an order ready for this fall. My mission: to have a wonderfully fragrant garden next year! :)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Silk Road, as Moby mentioned is very fragrant. Some of my best fragrances this year: Allegreto, Bravura, Anastasia has a nice fragrance, different, almost cinnamony, Caravan, Luminaries. Quintessence, Opulent.

And if the above sounds like an ad for The Lily Garden, it is, LOL.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Conc d'Or and Orania get my vote. Really fragrant and in their second year loaded with buds. Wish I hadn't planted them so close together (about a foot apart) on the top of a slope.

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

My deck (railing) is about 4 'off the ground and faces South so my goal is to be surrounded with the fragrance of lilies! :) That's my mission for this fall. Keep 'em coming! My deck is about 25'long so I'll be planting lot's of lilies.

There is no such thing as too many Salmon Star lilies for fragrance! I bought mine from Dutch Gardens, not Dutch Bulbs, and I love them.

Thumbnail by pirl
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh goodness Pirl, that Salmon Star is gorgeous!

Thanks, Donna. I do have scads of them and I'm so glad I got them when they weren't as expensive as they became.

Thumbnail by pirl

Shocking is another good scented one.

Thumbnail by pirl

Muscadette is another great fragrant one.

Thumbnail by pirl

You won't be disappointed with Robina! I have several in the rose garden and it's a sea of fragrance.

Thumbnail by pirl

Mona Lisa is the first to open for us and smells wonderful.

Thumbnail by pirl
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What beautiful lilies you have! And that's the way I love to see them - in scads!

Thanks, Donna. I bought a huge amount of Anastasia and shared them with a friend but this single shot is my favorite. It is fragrant.

Thumbnail by pirl

Vice Versa is also nice.

Thumbnail by pirl

Star Gazer is the classic for fragrance though, to me, Conca d'Or is much nicer. They are both great.

Thumbnail by pirl

Scads of Casa Blanca, Donna, in the obelisk garden. They are a favorite of florists.

Thumbnail by pirl
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

For some reason orientals don't do well for me. I'm going to stick with OT since they are tall, sturdy and some are VERY fragrant which is what I'm searching for. I figure you guys on Daves Garden probably know which ones are super fragrant and which ones are just a whisp of fragrance. Keep em coming!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pirl,

I love them all, and of course have Anastasia and Casa Blanca, but I think Vice Versa is particularly wonderful, and was trying to find it last year.

What a wonderful garden you must have!

Thanks, Donna. Good luck with the hunt.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh wow, B&D sold out of it for this year, which probably means they'll have it in spring! I couldn't find it ANYWHERE last year. The hunt is over - it will be in my spring orders>

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

IowaAnn, the orientals don't do as well for me either, plus I really enjoy the hardiness and sturdiness of the OTs. I think all the ones I listed are OTs. I may be wrong, but I think they are.

I've also recently found that some of the LAs have a very nice fragrance. Not as strong as the OT, but very nice, and since they are earlier it's nice to have the fragrance then.

Please do check out The Lily Garden. The catalogue lists the amount of fragrance on some.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Polly,

I am finding that some Orientals do significantly better than others. I have had the disappointment, as I'm sure you have, of planting ones that never show up!

That said, I have had great success with Halifax, Acapulco, and Sorbonne, as well as Crystal Blanca. Big, strong flowers, even under adverse conditions of 90 plus degree heat, a lack of water, and being moved!

And I agree about the LA's. I was given some as gifts, and now don't know how I did without them, especially, as you noted, with their earlier bloom time..

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you Donna. I would be willing to try some of the ones you listed. My problem seems to be that Orientals only last maybe two years at most. The orientals are gorgeous of course, but I had gotten discouraged in their short lifetime.

Some of the LAs that are fragrant that we came up with on the other channel are Best Seller, Dani Anafi, Cecil, and Mags said that Bright Diamond is a fragrant pure white.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

For earlier fragrant blooms, don't neglect trumpets such as Pink Perfection.

Thumbnail by Moby
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, trumpets. I made it my mission to collect them, since they persist and multiply, for me, better than anything else. I just adore them.

Polly, there was a thread a couple of years back about orientals that persist. I'll never forget my disappointment when I decided to order one of each of six orientals from a great supplier I continue to use. I batted 0 for six. ($30 worth of lilies!) I never saw most of them in bloom at all. The interesting thing is that the purveyor replaced them with orientals that did persist (Sorbonne) and no longer sells any of the losers.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll look for the thread. Thanks Donna.

Love trumpets! And they would be nice and tall for your deck area IowaAnn.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I realize no one has posted here since August '11, but I LOVE this thread. A lot of good information on fragrent lillies. I too love Conca D'Or. The first year I planted it and came home from work one day wondering where the glorious smell was coming from. It was at the other end of the garden from the driveway and scented the whole yard with just one flower. 2 others eventually bloomed as well. Intoxicating!!

Now, I have a question. I found some lilies that I didn't get planted in the fall. They were bare and in a paper sack. They look to have dried out, but wondered if they would sprout or if they are dead? I went ahead and put them in the ground yesterday when it was 70* here, figured might as well try, eh???

Can anyone answer this question?

Thanks!
Patti

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Well, bare and in a paper sack isn't good, but that do you have to lose by trying? You might get a nice surprise. :)

Good luck, Patti. Nature is full of surprises so I hope your lilies bloom.

I just transplanted some Pink Perfection on January 7th when it was 58 degrees here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.