Sarracenia, VFT, Drosera . . .

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Hello, all!

I'm new to this forum, and I'd like to get some input on my new "babies".

I just received a shipment of 9 baby plants. There are 7 various Sarracenia, a baby VFT, and a Drosera binata.

I understand that these plants like a well drained soil less type soil, with extra perlite mixed in. This is the same type of soil mix I use on my African Violets, so that is not a problem.

My question (so far) is this . . . some of the baby plants have a bit of soil around the root ball. Would it work if I took a shallow 5oz container, put some of the mix at the bottom and around the sides of the pot, then just slip the root ball in?

Here is a pic of the VFT just out of the baggie it came in . . .

Thanks for your input.

Nichole

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Arlington, TX

I wouldn't use african violet soil at all. Sphagnum peat moss and clean sand is what you want. You do realize most of what you are seeing in the pic you posted is live sphagnum moss, right?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

From what philcula posted in the other thread

Quoting:
The absolute best and largest plants are gorwn in pure sphagnum moss or combos of pure sphagnum and perlite or pummice.

I actually use a perlite/spagnum moss mix for growing my violets, which is why I thought it would be a good thing to use.

And yes, I do realize that I see alot of spagnum moss . . . I have plenty of that, as well . . . so maybe I'll use just that instead . . .

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

My intent in showing the first pic, was to show the soil mix around the root ball, so that a visual of what I was talking about would be available. Here is a pic from the top once the moss was removed. Right now, I have it sitting in a 2oz solo cup.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Arlington, TX

Well now that is quite a different view from your first pic. I have a few Sar. in pure long fiber s. moss and they do well. The flytraps like a little less of a soggy situation.
C

This message was edited Jul 30, 2011 5:05 PM

north coast nsw, Australia

I'd use a peat moss, sand mix for the flytraps. Is that 1st pic just of moss or is there a flytrap rhizome amongs it?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

The first pic is what the VFT looked like right out of the baggie. The second pic is what it actually looked like, once all the moss was taken off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.