Is this Inky Fingers???

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

These coleus came without identification. I thought the one on the left in the back was Inky finges, but it is green and not purple as in photos I have seen. Please help ID them all. I know the one in the back on the right is Kong Rose.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

No, not Inky Fingers. Inky has irregular leaves with a definite 'thumb' Could be one called Chocolate Drop., more of a spreader than upright grower.

Don't know the others off-hand.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for your input.
Yes, it does grow outwards. Could it be camoflogue?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Here is a link for 'chocolate drop'

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/152217/

What do you think?

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't think so. It has lots of brown.

Stockholm, Sweden

Hard to say for sure, since Inky Fingers may vary in shape depending which grower you buy it from :)

There is also one quite similar called "Inky Toes", try to seek it up (Google photos) and compare with the one you have.

Alice :D

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Inky Toes is nice, but mine has dark brown. It has to be camouflage.
Any trades for your coleus.

Stockholm, Sweden

If it is dark brown with green edges - and with no red color, then I'll go for your suggestion: Inky Fingers. As I said, Inky Fingers may vary in shape and size, depending where they come from (which nursery). And to make it more complicated :)) - if your coleus varies too much from the regular Inky Fingers - there is *always* a possibility of yours being a result of sporting. Coleus are known for doing that quite often :)

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you Alice. That is exactly what I have....dark brown with green edges. Inky it is!!!

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Cathy
Why can't we get these seeds instead of having to keep plants alive all winter. I hate fighting the bugs.

My picture is BAD. I am taking another one and see if anyone changes their minds.
I was going to do a trade, but the other trader must have the name before she will trade.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I do see the toes at the end of the leaf. Some leaves are more prominent than others.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I agree it is "Inky Fingers". Thank you all.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Seeds from hybrid plants will not give you the same results. If they did it could put coleus nursery businesses out of business.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Here is a link that discusses the difference between "toes" and "fingers complete with a side by side photo by Dale the Gardener!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1001158/

Thumbnail by coleup
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks both of you. I often wondered why some of the same named coleus had nicer color in some photos and not in others.

I definetly must admit, I don't know the difference between (coleus) toes and fingers, but will find out.

That must be why I like "Kiwi Fern", but have not found any yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.